Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » What Minas Tirith Means to You (Page 3)
Author Topic: What Minas Tirith Means to You
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What Minas Tirith Means to me? Tower of Guard. []

I came to the city seven and a half years ago to further explore Tolkien's writings on the internet, and to find a nice stable place to write RP. Got aquainted with a few good folk I met here, and its the best-run Tolkien board out in cyberspace. Yeah, ran across a couple @ssholes and a couple 'continiously depressed, going-through hell, woe-is-me-whingers', but that was to be expected.

The bottom line is this place is really good entertainment. []

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*5 years on*

Happy 13th Minas Tirith!

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My Lord, I've been here 11 years now. I took refuge from the Barrow-Wight and his little band of Sheriffs micro-managing everything, harrassing kids on their own site, and censoring me because he didn't like me explaining my signature in a thread about why we chose our signatures. It escalated, and I decided to leave. I did, however, find my Greatest Treasure there, and we both came here. My sparkly personality immediately won me many friends here, and that's why I keep coming back, although it is sad that the ignorant religious zealots seemed to have grown up and moved on to bigger and better things. They were more entertaining than Jerry Springer.

[ 05-26-2013, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Maia Olorin ]

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

[] Maia
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
I've been here 11 years now. I took refuge from the Barrow-Wight and his little band of Sheriffs micro-managing everything, harrassing kids on their own site, and censoring me because he didn't like me explaining my signature in a thread about why we chose our signatures. It escalated, and I decided to leave.
I remember that! []
Roll of Honor Círdan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 812
posted      Profile for Círdan   Author's Homepage   Email Círdan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at this now, I find this thread fascinating. For me, MT is something I engaged in high school before the existence of Peter Jackson's films (of which I am still a somewhat reluctant fan), which is to say, in a climate in which few of my peers had read LOTR, and of which only one had even heard of the Silmarillion.
MT is/was a place where most were familiar with both. However, now, quite a bit older, and amidst a PhD in philosophy, MT seems like something of which culture-in-general (is there such a thing) is less inclined to avail itself of.
I mean this less culturally (e.g., the Pony) as I do intellectually (e.g., the literary forums). And I suppose I say this because my initial love of MT came from the liveliness of the literary forums. There, it is not too extreme of me to say that I acquired my first taste of the joys of a life of the mind, fleeting and inadequate as they might have appeared to me as a teenager. Be that as it may, there I vividly recall advancing, for example, a hard line polemic against Finarfin for being a reactionary counterrevolutionary, justly banished to an infantile paradise, banished forever from justice, glory, from true immortality.
It is also these sorts of deep readings of Tolkein, however, that ultimately gave me reason to turn away from deep study of him. His world is a Manichean one. However powerfully he might think of the conflicts of epochs (Gandalf v. the Balrog is but one example), his is a... simple cosmos. And it is difficult for a Hegelian to linger overlong with a cosmos in which everything is, truly, ordered.

Such is Minas Tirith to me. I will do what I can to post something in the lit forums soon, just to spit in the face of all I've just said. I've always thought that the story of Beren and Luthien has been given rather short shrift.

Edit: It just occurs to me that this sentiment of resignation is one I've spent time thinking about before, and that I was a bit more insightful only a few months ago.
quote:
I'll hazard a claim: what makes Tolkein's world more complicated is that the simple Manicheanism of the standard fantasy novel is interrupted (or infected) with figures like Finarfin. Years ago, I think I wanted to pan Finarfin as a spineless pacifist. Today, I don't think that's a particularly intelligent line to hold. Yes, Finarfin backed out of a deal. But the other thing he does is tell fate to go f*** itself. When it became obvious that leaving paradise was a bad idea, he decides to turn around, and anyone sane enough to follow followed. It isn't the sexiest of moves. In many important ways, he lets a lot of people down, leaves a lot of people hanging. But what I think is more interesting is that he is the one who ignores what everyone else takes to be inevitable. For every other character, fate is ruling events. Finarfin alone is the one with it enough to reflect on where he stands, on how things are going, and decide on his course of action intelligently.
What I like about Finarfin is that he, very uniquely in Tolkein, serves as the sort of character that keeps the fate of things to come open.

All the more reason to post anew in the lit forums.

[ 10-27-2015, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: Círdan ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
In Autumn most of all do they come out, for Autumn is their season, fallen as they are upon the Autumn of their days. What shall the dreamers of the earth be like when their winter comes?

From: Atlanta | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

posted      Profile for faithfull   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
^ It's posts like this one that inspire me to keep reading Tolkien and to participate in the literary forums. Thanks, everyone []
From: East of the sun, West of the moon | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Estel the Ranger
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4576

posted      Profile for Estel the Ranger   Author's Homepage   Email Estel the Ranger   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
MT was the first real global community i was ever apart of! 17 year old me made some life long friends and had quite a few laughs. I pissed off a few people from time to time and saw some come and go but even though i dont post often anymore,MT is like your parents house where youll travel the world for years, then just show up home one day and walk straight tothe fridge without asking or leave. This has always been a refuge and safe harbour.
From: jasper TX via melbourne VIC Australia. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Good to see ya Estel! Hoping all is well with your migration to Texas? Oh yes, beware of pull dates in the fridge, the usage has been a bit slow. []
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

[ 09-29-2017, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

[]
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » What Minas Tirith Means to You (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help