Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » What Minas Tirith Means to You (Page 1)
Author Topic: What Minas Tirith Means to You
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The approach of my 5th anniversary at MT has made me start thinking of my past here, and all the people I have met and all the experiences I have had at this site. It is certain that MT has changed a lot in the five years I have been here - when I joined, The Two Towers had not been released yet, and the site was in the grips of movie mania. I was different then, too - a college drop-out unsure of where she was going in life, shy and opinionated, and far too sensitive and emotional for my own good. A lot of that has changed, partially due to growing older, and partially due to people I have met and discussions I have had on this site.

My recollections also reminded me that MT is not that big of a place, really. While there are, of course, thousands of members, a quick look at the directory shows that there are only 211 people with more than a thousand posts, and only 23 (myself included - when you add in Nelyafinwe and Curu) with over ten thousand. That's smaller than an average high school graduating class.

I guess what I'm curious about is hearing what MT means to everyone here - people you have met here who have changed you in some way, discussions you have had that have helped you learn about the world, and even, in a small way, about yourself.

I realize that this is an internet message board, and that few of us have ever met in RL. I feel lucky to have met several MT'ers in person - Aikanáro, Anoren, Glóin, Athene, Laur,Aerel, Inc', Belegurth, Eluchil, Artaresto - and to have talked to others on the phone - , SSA, Snowy, Addie. I hope that I get to meet and talk to more of you after I move to Derry in a few weeks...

So, give me your stories - how you found this place, why you stayed, how it's changed you, how you've changed MT. I'm curious to hear.

First post edited 5/3/08 in order to update MT'ers I've met. []

[ 03-05-2008, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: Amárië ]

From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thangail
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1292

posted      Profile for Thangail   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Dunno why i joined, but I've only done 2908 posts in 6 years.. wow. []
From: Capital City | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
While there are, of course, thousands of members, a quick look at the directory shows that there are only 211 people with more than a thousand posts, and only 23 (myself included - when you add in Nelyafinwe and Curu) with over ten thousand.
Ten thousand posts? Wow!

I'm not sure I've had that many things to say in my entire lifetime... []

From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I came for the cheese steaks.
Seriously, having had a long-time love of Middle-earth, I joined since I liked reading the in-depth threads about Tolkien's works, even though most of them had run their course for the most part. I almost never posted for the first year as I mostly just read all the wonderful posts from other forums (kudos to all who I've enjoyed reading), but having been her for a couple of years I've come out of lurking to occasionally post.
To finally answer your question, to me MT means a place to be with people who have a kindred passion. Regardless of any other differences any of us have, it is the Professor that brought us all here, and that alone makes me smile. []

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

posted      Profile for Aikanáro   Email Aikanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I can even reply to this without sounding sappily overemotional, but:

However infrequently I post here, MT remains my internet home. The people here are wonderful and have helped me through the most difficult times of my life. I was 15 when I joined, and I'm 20 now - in that space of time, I've changed a great deal.

I've had the good fortune to visit both Amarie and Eowynatheart, and have met Arisimi, Andreth, Braeden, Freya, Laur, Aerel and several others in person. I've also corresponded via snail mail, and have a wonderful collection of letters from 2003 or thereabouts.

And tomorrow, I'm going to Athene's Party, to meet even more MTers. []

From: Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belthronding
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5113
posted      Profile for Belthronding   Email Belthronding   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I came to MT by accident.

But it is no accident how much I enjoy this fine city, and the fine folks who inhabit it, though, as has been said, I may never meet any of them.

It is a privelage to discuss Tolkein (and all else) here.

From: Boston, MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

posted      Profile for Fangorn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This is the only Internet Message Board I post/read in.
I liked it here and am not going anywhere else in a hurry.

From: Bangalore | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Very good question, Amárië and I want to answer it properly, so I'll do it when I get back []
From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Estel the Ranger
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4576

posted      Profile for Estel the Ranger   Author's Homepage   Email Estel the Ranger   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
MT is the single most precious hidden secret
on the net. it changed my life in ways i couldnt have
imagined when i first saw the banner for it.
inside the people would soon become my 2nd family
and id learn things about people and myself i wouldnt
have been able to learn in RL.
friends, romances and only good times has this place ever
given me. altho i havent been at the forefront of posting
i hope that ive made my presance clear while sit in the shadow
of this amazing place
love you guys

Ranger

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
when i try to be somthing i am nothing. when i am true, im exactly who i wanna be...

From: jasper TX via melbourne VIC Australia. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
MT means several things to me.

First, this is a place of knowledge - or of various knowledges. I will certainly never be able to thank people like Thorin, Tuor, Galin, Thingy, Imbëar and many others, like they should be. So many and so different knowledged people []

Second, MT is a place of fun - and so many people play a part in this, I cannot name them - where serious issues can mix so easily with lighter ones []

And third, MT is a place of friendship - this time, I don't want to name people, but hey, you will or you could recognise yourself (I'm not very good with telling somebody 'hey, I like you' [] ).

[ 10-06-2007, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: Eluchil ]

From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not very good with telling somebody 'hey, I like you'
That's so true [] []

Anyway, I still didn't answer that post. Shame on me. But it's late now. I'll edit my post tomorrow []

[ 10-05-2007, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Inc' ]

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Q
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5312
posted      Profile for Q   Email Q   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Minas Tirith is old fashioned to me because old is the stuff that we are all made of.
From: LOS ANGELES, CA. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Prince Imrahil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5425
posted      Profile for Prince Imrahil   Email Prince Imrahil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Like most of the sites that I frequent these days, I stumbled onto this one almost two years ago. Thank goodness I did. I like being able to talk to people about Tolkien, people who KNOW what they're talking about and don't just THINK they know what they're talking about (at least generally speaking). I also like talking about it and not having someone giving me a "You need a life" look [] .

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
And last and proudest, Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, kinsman of the lord, with gilded banners bearing his token of the Ship and the Silver Swan, and a company of knights in full harness riding grey horses...tall as lords, grey-eyed, dark-haired, singing as they came.

-Minas Tirith

From: Dor-En-Ernil, Belfalas (by way of VA) | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My six year anniversary is coming up in April. My how time flies. Though I spend most of my time up north, I appreciate the camaraderie many have found here in the inns. Thanks to WGW for maintaining the site through thick and thin. It can't be easy.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

posted      Profile for The Swordmaster   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My six years has just gone. I couldn't even begin to put into words the things my spiritual internet home has meant to me.
From: Paphos, Cyprus!!! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orome
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 108
posted      Profile for Orome   Author's Homepage   Email Orome   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've been pretty quiet here for quite a while, but i do love dropping in and reading threads from time to time. There is always something which makes me smile.
From: Somewhere east of the brandywine | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Six years coming up for me too.

I joined by accident - a long and old story which some may recall, and if you don't it really doesn't matter.

I met some really great people here, some of whom I still have contact with. (If we've lost touch, email me please.) I met some real ass-holes, who sadly seem to be here still.

And I met some intolerant, bigoted, uncaring bastards too. Listen guys, there's a person behind these pixels - one who was suffering like you wouldn't believe. And indeed you didn't believe a word I said. When hell surfaces for you too, don't come running to me. Rot in hell. That's all you deserve. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Queen of Grammar with King Marcho.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalkin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1029

posted      Profile for Kalkin   Email Kalkin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"'Bitter', party of one. Your table is ready." []

Nice to see you again, SSA. []

From: Chicago | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Missed you lots hun. Email?
Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thangail
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1292

posted      Profile for Thangail   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Over 7 years now, although I tend to lurk more now than post... although that's two posts in this thread now, blimey.

[ 01-19-2008, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: Thangail ]

From: Capital City | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Six years coming up for me too.

I joined by accident - a long and old story which some may recall, and if you don't it really doesn't matter.

I met some really great people here, some of whom I still have contact with. (If we've lost touch, email me please.) I met some real ass-holes, who sadly seem to be here still.

And I met some intolerant, bigoted, uncaring bastards too. Listen guys, there's a person behind these pixels - one who was suffering like you wouldn't believe. And indeed you didn't believe a word I said. When hell surfaces for you too, don't come running to me. Rot in hell. That's all you deserve. []

Yawn. Quoted before she can edit it.

[ 01-19-2008, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: Maia Olorin ]

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Coming up on six years for me... []

Obviously I need to move on. [] Have tried and tried... This place is terribly addictive. But hey! At least I've managed to bring my daily post count down. []

What does MT mean to me? MT opened my eyes to a variety of subjects, not just of the Tolkien nature, but of a worldly nature too. I never knew any gay people before I came here. []

I joined the site after I Googled for "Minas Tirith" in hopes I would find out more about the city where my beloved Boromir came from. I was writing a LotR fanfic at the time, and thought this place would give me the info I needed. I lurked around for 30mins before I joined... and then I didn't really do anything here for a couple of months. []

Through the Floating Log and Prancing Pony, I found a few good friends who are still chatting with me nowadays. [] I also found a few people who did not in any way deserve my trust. One person - who I shall not name, but many MTers do know - managed to diddle me big time, and I'm still getting over that betrayal. If this is news to anyone, it's because I'm not the type to keep yammering on about it. [] Plus, stifling my post count has been one of my major MT goals since 2006.

The friendships made, and the RolePlays I was invited to (and created) , are what keeps me hanging around here. If I didn't have those, I would have disappeared long ago... There's just no point being someplace where you're ignored or despised. I learned that lesson at an X Files board. I didn't mean to upset people; I just did. I was a newbie to the internet then... My second fansite (MT) helped me through the grieving process. []

I'd like to thank Lillianna, Sherl, Varnafindë, Éomer, Neytari, Aika, Elyrka, The Mighty Mü, Orafacion, Cernunnos, Adanedhel, Eled, Thingol, Athene, Wetwang, Tindo, Snow Wiz, my lovely e-child Miran, and my constantly absent e-husband, Lugbúrz. You guys kept me and keep me sticking around here.

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Obviously I'm not in the people you name, but I'm proud to be in the gay people you're talking about Brae (even if I'm the latest one) [] []

I still haven't answered to that post...

Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The approach of my 5th anniversary at MT
N00b!

Well, I've been away for quite a while from the white walls of MT, but it still feels like an internet home for me, especially when seeing still many old names 'round here!

~ Ear.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"For I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words Bother me."

John 3:16-21

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm approaching my 1st anniversary. []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » What Minas Tirith Means to You (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help