Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  ...  55  56  57 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » What are you listening to the IX! (Page 30)
Author Topic: What are you listening to the IX!
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The James Gang - Rides Again
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eonwe The Herald
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11232
posted      Profile for Eonwe The Herald   Email Eonwe The Herald   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Eonwe I completely agree. A Thousand Suns is awesome. Very rich sound structure and thematically packed. Definitely a triumph for the band.

Well said, definitely a triumph, literally cannot wait to see what they come up with next, though it is obviously too early to be thinking about that. My favourite song from ATS is probably Waiting For The End or Iridescent (though it always changes). Linkin Park have changed and grown so much since Hybrid Theory (which I still love btw) its astonishing.

The only other band I know of too come close to that change is when Blink 182 brought out there Self Titled last album.

From: England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jango
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 891

posted      Profile for Jango   Email Jango   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, it's fun to see them grow. I've been a fan since Hybrid Theory as well so it's nice to see them grow as artists. I definitely agree with Waiting For The End. Have you seen the video? It's trippy. I love it. It was really cool seeing the album come together as a whole instead of a collection of songs. Listening start to finish is far more rewarding (for me at least) than skipping around on the disc. I'm a big Pink Floyd fan so I was geeking to see their influence on the new direction for LP, especially when I heard direct influences from "Echoes" throughout ATS. Agh, love it.

I've never been a fan of Blink 182 or much of that brand of punk (I'm more of a Ska guy when it comes to the punk spectrum), but if they made that big of a change then I'd be interested in taking a look at that last album of theirs.

From: US Virgin Islands | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eonwe The Herald
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11232
posted      Profile for Eonwe The Herald   Email Eonwe The Herald   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously could not agree more about the listening from start to end part. It works for so many albums that most people consider not to be so strong, like American Idiot for example. You listen to that from start to finish I guarantee you will fall in love with it.

Yeah I have seen the video for Waiting For The End, its pretty cool, not at all like I pictured it would be.

In terms of Blinks last album. First listen to their most famous songs from there earlier days, we are talking stuff like: M+M's, Josie, Dammit, Whats Me Age Again, Going Away To College, Voyeur, Roller Coaster, Stay Together For The Kids and Anthem Part 2 (To name a few). Then listen to their last album, its astonishing, you should definitely check it out.

From: England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jango
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 891

posted      Profile for Jango   Email Jango   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ted Nugent - Stranglehold
From: US Virgin Islands | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lords of Wong

[ 12-14-2010, 07:38 AM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

The Middle East
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
System of a Down ~ Hypnotize
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Muse - Bliss
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just the song or the entire album? (Because it is awesome)
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Some Khandian music:

Altan Urag:
- Blue Mark
- Requiem

The first one was part of the soundtrack of Sergey Bodrov's film "Mongol".

[ 12-18-2010, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: Tigranes ]

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
where the stars are strange?
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jango
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 891

Daft Punk - Tron Legacy Soundtrack ...one of the very few good things about the movie.
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
one of the very few good things about the movie.
That's disappointing. I'd hoped T:L would have been a good movie, or at least a good sequel.

I remember when Tron came out in 1982, most people knew about computers but were something they never had their hands on. My first experience was on a mainframe way back in 1975 as a child, so I can go back farther than a lot of you were alive. Data processing, you might say, is in my blood. []

Has anyone else see T:L and come out with a different opinion?

[ 12-19-2010, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: pi ]

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jango
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 891

I know a lot of people who did really like it, from my understanding it helps to have seen the original. The visuals are awesome, the backstory is good, the music was good. I was mostly disappointed because there was so much potential wasted. The first 15 minutes on the grid were awesome, but then it tried too hard to be some mix of The Matrix, Star Wars and LotR and it didn't even do that well. It became unoriginal quickly and didn't capitalize on it's creativity. It had the potential to be something really thoughtful and unique, but decided to go the safe route.

BUT I am looking at it from the perspective of filmmaking. As a fan of the series you may enjoy it a lot. I know a lot of people who did enjoy it and there's nothing wrong with that. I was hoping for something as bold as the visuals.

EDIT: Just read that Disney's goal with the movie was to find a franchise to take over Pirates of the Caribbean. I can definitely see that now in their decided direction on the film. In other words, they weren't concerned with making a good movie, they were concerned with making one that would appeal to as wide of an audience as possible. That is the first mistake of filmmaking. Rule #1: Make the movie you want to see, not the movie you think others want to see.

EDIT 2: AWOLnation - Sail []

[ 12-19-2010, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: Jango ]

Eonwe The Herald
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11232
I've recently been listening to the soundtrack to the film In To The Wild by Sean Penn. The soundtrack was recorded and eventually become Eddie Vedders (of Pearl Jam fame) first album.

I did write a big essay on the film and the soundtrack for you all to read but aparantly the links I provided were invalid and I can't be bothered to re-type everything. In short, the film is based on the life story of Chris McCandless and the book on his life by Jon Krakauer. McCandless chooses to leave the big corporate life behind and go to live out in the wild in Alaska under his new name Alexander Supertramp. He eventually dies from mistakenly eating some posionous plant seeds but writes in his diary that he has led a good and happy life. For me, the film is probably the most thought provoking piece of cinema since Fight Club, but thats obviously just my opinion.

Anyway, here is my favourite track from the soundtrack and I definetly recommend you all catch the film somewhere if you alredy havent. Here is the link (hoping this works) to the song known as " Hard Sun ", the vidoe contains clips and some spoken dialouge from the film. I hope you all enjoy.

Hard Sun - In To The Wild Music Video - Eddie Vedder

[ 12-20-2010, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Eonwe The Herald ]

Jango
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 891

Awesome soundtrack. I loved the movie too. I had the priveledge of seeing it in an area of Oregon where part of it was filmed. Good choice.
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Listening to a great local independent release by Sia, "We Are Born". Good for doing the housework to. []
From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

Jack Brown ~ The Road to Happy. []
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
After reading Keef's autobiography, I've been listening to the Stones a bit more than usual. Richards is smarter than I gave him credit for, though I don't know if I'd like him any more in person after reading his book. He's kinda like Hunter S. Thompson with a guitar.

Honkey Tonk Women. The beginning of Keef's love-affair with the 5 string open G tuning.

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Who'll Stop The Rain ~ Creedence Clearwater Revival

[ 01-11-2011, 03:59 AM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

posted      Profile for bombadil   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there Artaresto -- thanks! [] My third one, The Scenic Route, came out this past July and has been doing fairly well.
From: Meridian ID | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

I'd like to buy that one as well! []
Roll of Honor Freya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1558

posted      Profile for Freya   Email Freya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Maia Olorin, I've been considering Richards' autobiography, good to hear you're enjoying it. Hunter S Thompson with a guitar, love that image. As soon as I've finished this Banks Culture door stop, I'll get it
From: London | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's a good read, but I would've liked to see more in depth commentary regarding various events, such as Rock n Roll Circus, Altamont, Allen Klein's machinations, his relationship with Lennon, what he did to help those around him and Mick who ended up hooked on smack (Marianne Faithful and Mick Taylor come to mind). The picture that emerges, for me, is someone obsessed with his music; human relationships were secondary to it (and then took another backseat to the constant obsession with heroin). I understand him better, though, and can relate to how he became a rebel.
Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » What are you listening to the IX! (Page 30)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  ...  55  56  57 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help