Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Cricket Inn (Page 8)
Author Topic: Cricket Inn
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

posted      Profile for Fangorn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
But Hamfast - We always rely on Spinners in Indian tracks to give us wins. THis is like Decades old formula. At times we had the likes of Ganguly opening the bowling to fit three spinners in.
And - we usually have two spinners in overseas tests too. ANd we had two spinners - Kumble and Harbhajan - playing in *several* ODI's as well.

I need to familiarize myself with English team - Lost touch for a long time. Are there two spinners in the squad?

From: Bangalore | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure there are two spinners in the squad, Fangorn, Monty and someone else, the question in my mind is will they play them both in the same match?
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

Hamfast - Just checked your test team -

Batting looks Solid with - Strauss, Bell, Cook, Collingwood, Kevin, Shah and Broad
Pace bowling - Harmison, Anderson, Sidebottom
Spinners - Panesar and Swann
Keepers - Prior and Ambrose
And last but not the least - Match Winner - Flintoff.

If I were captain I would pick Harmison, Anderson Sidebottom, Flintoff and Panesar any day. I wouldnt trade any of the pacers with Swann any day. So - likelihood of two spinners looks bleak - unless one of those blokes gets injured!!

From: Bangalore | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmm, on paper maybe. In reality I have suspicions that India will win the toss, bat first make 400 - 500 in reply Strauss will be out early with a dodgy LBW or caught behind, Petersen will take one wild swipe and be out, Cook will be out for not very much and we will be 100 for 5 or something stupid like that and struggling!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

Ah Hamfast - you have a sunny disposition dont you? []
If it was in my power to get you into English Dressing Room - I would do my very best to do it! []

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Well, Fangorn, just between you and me and for reasons of my own, far too complicated to explain to anyone else, though they seem perfectly straightforward to me, I wouldn't cry if England lost this one. Which they might perfectly well do if the warm-up match is anything to go by.
By the way, did you manage to see any of India's home series live? Seen as the matches where from 4am until 10am our time, I didn't get to see much of the last series as I don't have Sky and no Pubs open before 11! I think I managed to see about half an hour of one Test. Can one see Test cricket live anywhere in California?

Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

Hamfast - I have left the shores of California this May. I am back to the dirty, dusty, pollution filled, congested Bangalore that I love so much.
And yes - I caught some action during weekends.
But I constantly followed the progress through cricinfo.

And - it must be pretty complicated reason if you want England to loose!

Is it because they went to bed with stanford? []

[ 11-12-2008, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Fangorn ]

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

No, no, it's more because Cricket is only one out of three international sports that really count as far as I'm concerned and I have a very complex happines scenarino! I probably wouldn't want England to be totally slaughtered, but I wouldn't mind a narrow defeat!
There is quite an amusing TV advert here about the forthcoming series! It features Peterson coming into an Indian restuarant, the waiters and cook, who I assume are the Indian players, all say, 'Kevin Peterson is here,' and the cook thinks he can cook up a very hot curry which would put Peterson out of action, but in fact, KP likes it and gives a thumbs up sign to the waiters, much to their disappointment! []

Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

Thats really amusing!

But really - you think KP can take Indian Spice? Nah...

And this is why I call Ozzies 'Superiority Complexed Ill behaved etc'. And he will come salivating after the third world country money shamelessly. Shameless descendant of a convict.

[ 11-13-2008, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Fangorn ]

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

I think that KP can handle Indian spice. Weather he can handle Indian spinners, especially on a spinning track is another matter. Given his history, I'm not sure he can, I've heard Peitersen referred to as a flat-track bully, something which is necessary sometimes in Cricket, but will this work this series.
Oh, and well done England for that 'effort,' in the first one-dayer, great stuff []

Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

Hamfast - I wouldnt put too much blame on the cricketers. Shame on Administrators who havent allowed enough time and practice matches for the visiting team to settle in.

Looking for an exciting clash in the Test Matches though. Who cares about ODIs anyways? You will forget them in couple of days time.

Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

*Jumps Up and down* *Pumps Fists* and Celebrates..
Not because India have won their third straight ODI.. *but*
Aus is all out for 214!!!!!

NZ is my new favourite team.

Go Kiwis - get those Ozzies.

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Seems like a bit of an odd Test down there at the moment! BTW, Fangorn if that is the way you feel about the Aussies, how about I extend to you an official invitation to Umpire in the forthcoming ashes series? Don't give Australia a single decision! []
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

Ah.. I would love that!

Please arrange that Hamfast!! []

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

That would be quite amusing! LBW! No way, going down legside! Caught! Never touched it mate! Bowled, surely, Nope, Noball! And honestly I wouldn't call it cheating, I'd call it payback considering the amount of dodgy dicsions Australia have had in their favour over the years in Ashes tests. BTW, this may mean nothing to you, Fangorn, but Australia have just lost the Rugby League World Cup final to New Zealand and as Australia normally win this, this will hurt them, trust me!
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

Hamfast - I dont hate Australia. Just their cricket team for their foul behaviour and comments. So it doesnt matter to me much if they loose or win in Rugby or any other sport - but cricket!

ANd Petersen wasnt looking very bright trying to argue with Match officials and trying to blame the defeat on them! As if he was allowed to bowl the next 9 overs, India wouldnt be able to knock off those 40 odd runs.

Just accept the defeat graciously and try playing a better cricket game next time!

Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

And - Definitely a better cricket game!
That Shah was really dangerous!!

Where was he hiding till now!!...

My Prediction - England will win next three games.

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Maybe, Fangorn, but I think someone will have to explain to me the vagries of the D/L system! I'm not completely sure why England had to get 199 in 22 overs [] But well done to however thought of that, you've just rendered the last three one-dayers meaningless. Not that they weren't pretty much meaningless before! The vageries of one-day cricket, eh? One day, I'd love to figure out a way to have Cricket in one-day, but has taken wickets as the same value in Tests. I've thought about that one, but haven't come up with anything!

[ 11-23-2008, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

Hamfast - it is simple. For 17 overs - India paced themselves as they were playing for 50 overs. THey would have easily achieved more - if they 'knew' that the game would be over in 22 overs. That is what got factored into the D/L system. However - it didnt factor in the number of Power PLay Overs, which it should do. England got a bit of raw deal there.
But mind you - Pietersen knew all this - and still elected to field after winning toss. There is no way England can complain about this.

[ 11-24-2008, 04:16 AM: Message edited by: Fangorn ]

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Yes, well so much for that! I do hope that England play their tests, after all the terrorists can strike anywhere, is India any more safe than England? There has been the odd Terrorist strike in London now and again. I assume you're all right, Fangorn been in Banglore I hope all your friends and family are.
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

Thanks for asking Hamfast. yes - everyone I know are safe.
I wont blame the English if they dont come back - after all safety is paramount compared to playing a game - how much ever money is involved. India should get its act together in preventing these terror attacks, and if they unfortunately happen - to react fast to limit the damage.

Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

Well Done England.
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

True. I read that Robert Croft regrets now his decision not to go to India in 2001 after the September 11th attacks. To be honest, the Terrorists can strike equally at any place at any time. Is England safer in the world from this sort of thing than the cities of India? Some of these players might never get another chance to play their at Test level!
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Actually, Fangorn, I think you're going have to add two more names to the England squad. The very English sounding Amjad Khan and Adil Rashid!
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Looks like England will start with two spinners

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/7774332.stm

Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Cricket Inn (Page 8)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help