Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Cricket Inn (Page 13)
Author Topic: Cricket Inn
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

posted      Profile for Fangorn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] [] [] [] []
From: Bangalore | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I know, and now Zaheer Khan is confirmed out of the series.
[]
OTOH, Sehwag is back on Wednesday. []

I want England to win and all, but I want us to win against a tip-top Indian side, not a depleted one.

HOWEVER []

We have had injuries too, to Tremlett and Trott and Swanny, and we're not whinging about it. []

Overall, I do think we have been the better team; our batting order is just longer, and our bowlers co-operate better than the Indians. I think we deserve our success.

And as for the couple of LBW decisions that went our way, all I can say to that is: not such a stupid review system now, is it? []

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Injuries are part and parcel of Test cricket however. That's why we have squads. And of course when one player is injured this sometimes gives another one an opportunity. It would get a little dull seen the same 11 all the time wouldn't it? Some very talented internation cricketers have started their careers due to opportunities been created by an injury.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly, Ham. It's not very clever to rely on one or two players to be a winning side, if there's a chance one or both of them could be injured.
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

*doubles* []
Might have to get in a couple of tinnies* and settle in to watch tonight. Thankfully it is pretty quiet at work so no-one minds me gluing my eyeballs to the BBC Test Match Special. [] []

Can't believe they've only been playing for an hour and they need a drink already. [] Mind you, I've been at work for four hours and I wouldn't say no to a pint of Wadworths 6X. []

*I don't really drink beer out of tins, BTW, because I'm not some revolting chav. [] []

Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

posted      Profile for bombadil   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Boy Wonder (my son, to those who don't know me well) just came in after hearing the BBC on his car radio. He told me the British took India's wicket. I'm sorry, that sounds really really wrong. []
From: Meridian ID | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elanor Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3219

posted      Profile for Elanor Gamgee   Email Elanor Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's not entirely right-it makes it sound like India only had one wicket to take, whereas the usual number is 10. Or else that they actually stole the wicket itself.
Still, if you think that sounds wrong, how about this (possibly apocryphal) quote from a commentator, some years back now:
"And the bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey" (or was it the other way round).

From: Moscow | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I had a strange thought watching the tennis today. If they made a really large moving roof they could cover Lords and we could have night cricket whatever the weather. What a strange thought to think.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Olympic shooting champion Peter Wilson has just been interviewed by the BBC and has stated the following:
quote:
"I love cricket, and I shouldn't probably say this but I'd give up shooting in the blink of an eye if I could play professional cricket."

[]
You, good sir, are clearly a scholar and a gentleman.
*doffs imaginary hat*
[] []

[ 08-17-2012, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Athene ]

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

However, some people really shouldn't use social media! Kevin Petersein and his South African buddies should have set up accounts here! They could have said what they liked and been fine. No-one reads this place after all.

[ 08-17-2012, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Complicated processiss in the world. The Middle-East. Northern Ireland. Syria. Government pay negotiations. Kevin Petersens return to the England Cricket team. Or maybe he just has to say sorry many times. Though to be honest, his record against spun on turning wickets isn't that great.
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Did I just say that? Well he did ok in the last test. Although I do think that someone taking 11 wickets deserves to win the man of the match award more, but that's the way it goes. On the other hand there is something the England selectors need to know. There is an old Hindu proverb which say, 'if you play Cricket on a wicket that spins as much as Sydney, pick two bloody front-line spinners!'
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

I'm not the greatest fan of 20/20 cricket or the IPl, but what an innings from Chris Gayle! How did he hit 175 in 20 overs????????
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

I adore the IPL, even though test cricket will always be my favourite, and I particularly adore Chris Gayle, which is why I have supported RCB for two seasons now. Go Bangalore! []

I just love him. I saw an interview with him once where he was asked why it is that he is such a big hitter, and he replied, in his softly lazy Jamaican accent: "Well, I don't really like runnin', man".

[] [] []
LOVE HIM.

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Jade Dernbach is in the England team because?????????
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*posts here* [] []

The Leg Before Wicket rule is featured on the main page of Wikipedia. ! []

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

[]
I was just popping in to mention that the first ball of the Ashes test series has been bowled, and what do I find but a most unlikely visitor!
It's like spotting some kind of fabled beast in the middle of Basildon city centre!

Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] Haha ! I stealthily entered the inn. And now I feel like I don't belong here. []

Basildon ? [] []
*looks it up* []

So, what do they have there ? A disturbing mother-and-child statue, bad architecture, Meaux as a twin town, and a member of Erasure comes from there. Frightening. []

But it's also the hometown of Depeche Mode []

E : typo due to bad Internet connectino.
E2 : F***, I'm leaving this one as it is.

[ 07-10-2013, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Inc' ]

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

I was there on Friday and it is possibly the most boring place in the whole of the UK. Adele Anderson hates it and she is awesome.

We're not doing too well so far, 130 for 4 on the first day. [] Come on lads, Peter Siddle is a wickle teddybear, he's not scary!

Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

It's kind of disappointing, one could have hoped that a town whose name includes 'basil' could at least smell good. []
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Henceforth I shall refer to it as "Pestotown". []
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

I should have realized that England would loose the 20/20 when Jade Dernbach was in the team. Why does he always get selected in some limited overs games? Cracking innings by Finch, however.

[ 08-30-2013, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

This Peterson thing is rather intriguing. All right, they are saying he was sacked for been individualistic and not playing for the team, but surely everyone has known that for 8 years! Why suddenly drop him for that reason now?
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How about them Ashes, eh Brits??? []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
... yep... yep, the sound of crickets ...
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Cricket Inn (Page 13)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help