Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Party Tree Recipes (Page 8)
Author Topic: Party Tree Recipes
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
Maybe Queenie was holding up a jar of said ingredient and pointing at it at the time Dubious, thereby making her grammar correct []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tut tut, Wetty; you should never end a sentence with a preposition! []
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

Don't go getting all 'A' Level on me my dear! [] [] [] []
[]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Queenie respectfully points out that she did admit to writing ungrammatically.

She thought the colloquialism would enable the less-abled to understand her post. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Queen of Grammar with King Marcho.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

I knew what you meant Queenie []

[]
Yeah right! Smartar*e []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Very well! How about some soup recipes for a cold Frery day?
From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arisimi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4131
posted      Profile for Arisimi   Email Arisimi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Arisimi's recipe sounds incomprehensibly American
[]

[]
[]
[]

It's actually very easy...........once you make it a time or two.... []

[ 01-03-2005, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Arisimi ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I generally wallow in my own crapulence.
09/21/07/ By Thangail
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"Come now, my dear. Everything on MT is supposed to be taken out of context, especially if it's in the Pony... "
2/22/05, by: Silmahtar
Hey! That fairy dust is expensive! Do you know how many fairies I have to grind up just to get a handful?

From: Never-Never Land | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It probably is easy - if you know what half the ingredients are, and could obtain them. [] []

Anyway, Celebrían asked for soup recipes, and this is a great favorite in our household. It acquired its name when Brat was a toddler.

Eeyore's Soup

Serves 6

1 oz butter
1 medium leek
2 carrots
2 medium potatoes
6 oz red lentils
2.5 pints vegetable stock (you can use chicken)
salt and black pepper

1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Peel and chop the veg, add to the butter and sauté gently for a few minutes to soften them. Add the lentils.

2. Gradually stir in the stock, and bring to a simmer. Cover the pan, and cook for 45 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. Remove from heat.

3. Purée the soup in a blender. Check the seasoning, and add salt and pepper if required. Return to (washed) pan, and reheat.

4. Serve with lashings of garlic croutons.

This soup freezes very well - if it lasts long enough.

edit: typos []

[ 01-04-2005, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: Sauron's Secret Agent ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

Well, we're still eating soup anyway!

Hobbiton Bean and Vegetable Soup

1 large onion, peeled and chopped
2 tabs oil (preferably olive)
15 oz can beans (cannellini are best), drained
2 carrots, diced
2 potatoes, diced
3 courgettes, sliced
15 oz can chopped tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1-2 tabs fresh basil, chopped
1 ¾ pints veg. stock or water
2 oz small pasta shapes
salt and pepper

Sauté onion in the oil for 5 minutes. Then add the beans, all the vegetables, and the garlic, and cook for a further 5 minutes.

Add the stock, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes.

Add the pasta and basil and cook for a further 10 minutes.

Season to taste.

Grated cheese is yummy on top of this; and if you're really hungry, serve with hot rolls. It is very filling though.

I use masses more garlic, and no salt at all. If you use dried basil, then add 1 teasp. with the veggies.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Queen of Grammar with King Marcho.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

Roll of Honor EowynatHeart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3437

posted      Profile for EowynatHeart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds yummy!!!
I eat soup all year round. I make it and freeze it in servings and when you just want something light, pop it in a pot and TA-DA!!!

But what is:
quote:
courgettes

From: Wait! The map was upside down!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Silly Eah... a courgette is a baby corgie.

-

Those Brits will eat just about anything... [] []

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

[] @ Swelf []
Lobelia I'm surprised you don't know what a courgette is []
It looks like a baby cucumber []

*Points to his sig* []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

Roll of Honor EowynatHeart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3437

posted      Profile for EowynatHeart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ohhhhhh!!!!!
*resists the temptation of dirty up Recipe thread*

From: Wait! The map was upside down!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

I think that you colonials call a courgette a zucchini (sp?).

Although baby corgi would add a certain je ne sais quoi to the dish. []

edit: Yep!

[ 02-07-2005, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Sauron's Secret Agent ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

Do we have any Easter recipes?
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How about St Patrick's Day Recipes...

Hot Irish Kiss

• Pink sugar
  • 5 ounces hot coffee
  • 1/2 ounce Irish whiskey
  • 1/2 ounce hazelnut-flavored liqueur
  • 1/2 ounce amaretto
  • 1 ounce whipped cream
  • Ground cinnamon
-Rim glass with pink sugar.
-Pour hot coffee into glass.
-Add remaining ingredients, except whipped cream.
-Top with whipped cream and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

Simnel Cake

Marzipan:
225 g (8 oz) ground almonds
225 g (8 oz) caster sugar
115 g (4 oz) icing sugar
1 egg separated
Juice of ½ lemon
Few drops of yellow food colouring

Cake:
175 g (6 oz) butter or margarine
175 g (6 oz) soft brown sugar
3 eggs
225 g (8 oz) plain flour
50 g (2 oz) glace cherries, chopped
450 g (1 lb) mixed dried fruit
5 ml (1 tsp) mixed spice
2.5 ml (½ tsp) baking powder
Grated rind of lemon
30 ml (2 tbsp) milk
30 ml (2 tbsp) brandy
Sieved apricot jam

Method:

1. Make the marzipan. Mix almonds and sugars. Add egg yolk, lemon juice and food colouring. Mix to stiffish paste.

2. Wrap marzipan in film and place in refrigerator.

3. Line 18 cm (7 inch) cake tin with greased greaseproof paper.

4. Cream butter or margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.

5. Beat in eggs, adding tablespoon of measured flour with last egg.

6. Add fruit, spice, flour and baking powder, folding in to mix thoroughly.

7. Stir in lemon rind, milk and brandy.

8. Remove marzipan from refrigerator and divide in three pieces.

9. Dust one piece with little flour and roll into 17.5 cm (7 inch) round.

10. Place half cake mixture in prepared tin. Cover with marzipan and place remaining cake mixture on top.

11. Bake:
Fan oven: 135ºC 1¾-2 hours
Conventional oven: preheat shelf 3 160ºC 2-2¼ hours
Gas oven: preheat shelf 3 Mark 3 2-2¼ hours

12. Leave cake to stand in tin for about 15 minutes, before turning out onto wire tray to cool.

13. When cold, remove greaseproof paper and brush top of cake with apricot jam.

14. Roll out another piece of marzipan to fit top of cake and press in position.

15. Score top of marzipan to make diamond pattern and brush with egg white.

16. Roll the remaining marzipan into twelve even sized balls and press around the outer edge.

17. Place under grill and toast gently until golden brown.

Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

A seasonal treat with an Eastern feel. It is actually a traditional Indian recipe and I sampled it on many an occassion on my travels around that wonderous country []

Easter Egg Curry

2 Tbsp Vegetable oil
1 Tsp Black mustard seed
1 Tsp Cumin seeds
1 inch stick of cinnamon
3 or 4 green cardomons
3 or 4 cloves
1 large or 2 small bay leaves
1 inch cube fresh ginger root, peeled and mashed into a pulp
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and mashed into a pulp
1 large onion halved and thinly sliced
1 Tbsp Garam masala
1 Tsp Turmeric
1/2 Tsp ground black pepper
1/4 Tsp Chilli powder
1lb can of chopped tomatoes or a pound of fresh tomatoes with skin removed.
4 hard boiled eggs (shells removed [] )

1- Heat oil until very hot and add mustard and cumin seeds.
2- When they start popping add cinnamon, cardomons, colves and bay leaves. Stir for about 10 seconds or until you can smell them.
3- Add the ginger, garlic and onion and cook until the onion becomes soft. This usually takes a few minutes.
4- Add garam masala, termeric, black pepper and chilli powder. Keep stirring to mix the spices all together and to release the natural oils and aromas for a couple of minutes.
5- Add the tomatoes and stir in well.
6- Gently simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes stirring every few minutes.
7- Place hard boiled eggs in sauce whole and leave to stand. A couple of hours is good and then reheat before serving with Aloo Gobi, pilau or basmati rice and chapatis

Sheer heaven! []

[ 03-26-2005, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: Wetwang ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

That sounds amazing! I love egg curries anyway, but that one sounds superb. Thanks, Swampoid! I'll try it next week. []
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Easter Egg Curry sauce tastes excellent, Wetwang!
I can make the recipe at night, and heat it quickly for breakfast the morning after.

From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

[]
Like all soups, stews and curries it tastes better on the second day than the first, glad you liked it Cele []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

If you like your fruit salad a bit on the sharp side instead of the sweet side then here is a creation of mine that will please []

Gollum's Fruit Salad# called this because it has a bite []

1 Medium pineapple
1 Small grapefruit
1 Large red apple
1 kiwi fruit
2 passion fruits
1 lime
Large handful of grapes

1- Peel pineapple, grapefruit and kiwi and chop into chunks a small or large as you like them.
2- Chop up apple likewise.
3- Halve grapes.
4- Mix together in a bowl.
5- Scoup out the seeds from the passion fruits and stir into fruit.
6- Add the grated zest and juice of the lime.
7- Leave to stand in the fridge for at least a couple of hours.
8- Enjoy []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Rosie Cotton's Home-made Lemonade

(Quick and easy, so that she can make it in between caring for her 271 children.. [] )

4 lemons
A big glass bowl
A kettle full of water
Some white sugar
Extra lemon juice if needed

1. Put t'kettle on.
2. Peel the lemons with a small, sharp knife, and cut the bits of peel into thin strips. If you have a zester, use that instead.
3. Put the peel into the bowl, and pour the boiling water from the kettle onto the peel.
(At this point, the smell of lemon oil floats through the entire house, causing good karma, good chi and making everyone happy [] )
4. Stir a bit, and then leave until it's lukewarm.
5. Cut the peeled lemons in half, and squeeze the juice into the bowl. Chuck the squeezed halves in for good measure.
6. Add sugar and extra lemon juice to taste, and stir occasionally until completely cool.
7. Get a clean tea-towel and rinse it in cold water. Wring out until the towel is damp but not dripping, and no longer smells of washing liquid.
8. Strain the lemonade through the towel. This makes about 1 1/2 litres, so you will need to use a big saucepan.
9. Store in the 'fridge or in a cool cupboard.

Athene's Reprehensible Margaritas

Make as above, but with 4 lemons and 4 limes to the same amount of water. When cool, put a generous slug of gold tequila in a glass, and top up with lemon-lime mix. Put a little glup of blue curacao into the glass so that it sinks to the bottom. Salt optional.
[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Put a little glup of blue curacao
What's a "glup" preciousss? Is it some odd English measurement? Less than a stone, but more than a thumb? []
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

It's when you turn the bottle up enough for some to come out and for it to go "glup".
[]
I would have thought that was obvious.
[]

Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Party Tree Recipes (Page 8)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help