Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  12  13  14 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Party Tree Recipes (Page 4)
Author Topic: Party Tree Recipes
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I thought you'd think it was tacky. []

That chicken salad recipe is adapted by me anyway - it just needs something to make it a little spicy, so it's not just plain old salad.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How about some Fall/Autumn recipes for apples, pumpkins, spiced cider, or gingerbread variations?

[ 10-05-2004, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Celebrían ]

From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Autumnal recipes! []

Fatty Lumpkins Pumpkin Pie

This is a savoury pie that goes really well with either roast vegetables or bubble and squeak []

1- Use equal measures of pumpkin flesh and small, boiled cubes of potato.
2- Mix them together with some sweated, small diced onions. I usually use half a large onion to about 2lb of pumpkin/spud mix.
3- Add to this some crumbled Blue Stilton cheese. If you don't like blue cheeses then a good Cheddar works well.
4- Salt and fresh black pepper to taste and thats the filling []

Chefs Tip []
I usually mix all these ingredients while the spud and pumpkin are still warm. I've found it helps blend the flavours nicely.

5- Let the mix go cold before filling a pie dish that has been lined with wholemeal pastry, (homemade of course [] ). Make sure you pack the mix well into the casing. Afterall, the more filling the better the taste []
6- Add a wholemeal top and brush with beaten egg.
7- Bake in a preheated oven at somewhere around 200 degrees C for about 40 minutesish [] And there you have it []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Interpretations:
Bubble and squeak is leftover cooked potatoes and cabbage.
200C is about 392-400F.
edit: for correction on the beef

[ 10-06-2004, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Celebrían ]

From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Bubble and squeak is actually the cabbage and potatoes, fried. Never cooked in the oven.

If you choose to add beef, that's your choice, but it isn't then b&s.

If y'all get realistic about your recipes, I just might divulge my apple gingerbread recipe.

Then again, I might not. []

[ 10-05-2004, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Sauron's Secret Agent ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Queen of Grammar with King Marcho.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

So much for trying to understand internet versions. Native interpretations are best!
I've got to find another translator!

[ 10-05-2004, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Celebrían ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

*grins*

Actually I see why the confusion arises, Celebrían. Bubble and squeak is a throw-back to more frugal olden times, I guess, when most families had a roast dinner on Sundays. Monday was traditionally washing day (when women didn't have to go out and earn money as well as being housewives [] ), and it saved both time and money to eat the leftovers from the Sunday dinner. You ate the sliced up cold roast meat, fried up the leftover potatoes and cabbage, and warmed the leftover gravy - that was Monday dinner.

My parents were both elderly when they had me, and very old-fashioned, and I've eaten more than my share of those Monday meals. Invariably followed by the remains of an apple pie with custard. []

I was never very fond of the cold meat and warmed up gravy, but I still adore bubble and squeak. Though when I make it now, I tend to add onion to give it more flavour.

This post was brought to you by Olde English Eating Habits 101. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

Hey Queenie [] I also remember those Monday meals with great affection [] My mum used to fry off all our left over vegetables, not just the spud and cabbage. Bubble and squeak tastes grand if you let it get toasted and a bit crispy in places []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
British cuisine...
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

Hey! Don't knock it until you tried it []
And that's pretty rich coming from someone that lives in the land of the pickled herring []

[ 10-06-2004, 04:31 AM: Message edited by: Wetwang ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

The northern American version might add red beets, turnip and parsnips to that Sunday dish. Heat all the leftovers, diced, to make what's called 'Red Flannel Hash'. The meat gets heated with the vegetables. Sprinkle on a little garlic vinegar if desired.
Red flannel underwear can still be found in stores in Maine. Very hobbity dish, Wetwang!

Roll of Honor EowynatHeart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3437

posted      Profile for EowynatHeart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Bubbles and Squeak []

Despite the funny name, that sound darn good []

From: Wait! The map was upside down!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

*hugs Swampy - a man with taste*

Yes, my Mum used to "b&s" all the vegetables too, although it often was just cabbage cos we all loved it. And it just has to be cooked till it gets crispy, I agree.

One of my favourite meals still is to fry up all the leftover veggies, and serve them either with (fresh) gravy or melted cheese. Yummy!

As you've all been good [] , here is my recipe for Ginger Applecake. I make it for Hallowe'en and/or Bonfire Night. Very good after baked potatoes with sausages.

Ginger Applecake

6 oz self raising flour
1 teaspoon ground giner
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 oz soft brown sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
6-8 tablespoons milk
1 oz unsalted butter, melted and cooled

Topping:
1 lb cooking apples (though it's even nicer with Coxes)
juice of 1 lemon
3 oz demerara sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 oz unsalted butter, melted and cooled

1. Grease a shallow 12 x 8 inch tin.
2. Sift the flour, ginger, and baking powder into a bowl. Stir in the soft brown sugar. Add the egg, 6 tablespoons of milk, and melted butter. Beat to a soft dropping consistency. (If it is too stiff, add more of the milk.)
3. Peel, core and slice the apples into thin wedges. Put in a bowl with the lemon juice, demerara sugar and ginger. Mix together gently.
4. Spoon the cake mixture into the tin and level the surface. Arrange the apple slices over the top. Pour over any liquid remaining in the bowl, then drizzle the melted butter over.
5. Bake in a preheated oven (200 C, 400 F) for 35 minutes, until the apples are golden brown on top. Remove from oven and cool.

I recommend making this the day before, as the flavours blend, and it is even more delicious.

Would anyone like my Gingerbread Trifle recipe? It bears no resemblance whatsoever to real English Trifle, but it's very good. I also have the recipe for my Grandmother's Never-Fail Gingerbread.

edit:typos

[ 10-06-2004, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Sauron's Secret Agent ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

quote:
Would anyone like my Gingerbread Trifle recipe? It bears no resemblance whatsoever to real English Trifle, but it's very good. I also have the recipe for my Grandmother's Never-Fail Gingerbread
Yes please! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why English cuisine is so maligned. It seems very hearty and good, much like Amish food.

I used to love that cooking show The Two Fat Ladies, and would always drool at what they cooked up.

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

We have much cold weather. We need hearty, warming food for much of the year.

*goes to find recipe book*

*hopes Mother never finds out she is divulging the family recipes*

[]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3437

SSA, that sounds yummy and I printed it off but one question.....

quote:
demerara sugar
What is that?

[ 10-06-2004, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: EowynatHeart ]

From: Wait! The map was upside down!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

Demerara sugar is a brown sugar that is crystalline, as opposed to soft brown sugar which is - soft. []

Either would probably work, it's the flavour of brown sugar as opposed to white that really makes the difference.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3437

I see.....well I will certainly make it.
I think I seen that sugar before, just never had the need for it.

Thanks []

Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Demerara sugar sounds like turbinado sugar to me.

Why can't you British just call it what it's supposed to be called?

Anyway, come on with the secret family recipes.

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

[] to Snowball. We call it what it says on the packet.
Alothmin i Nolmo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3706
posted      Profile for Alothmin i Nolmo   Email Alothmin i Nolmo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If it is for the flavor alone, and you are taking shortcuts, you can use white sugar and molasses. That is, if you are like me and have molasses more often than brown sugar in the house.
From: Land of Rain | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

Grandma’s Never-Fail Gingerbread

(This is a fairly light gingerbread, not like parkin and its relations, but I never met anybody who didn't like it. It's best if you leave it a couple of days - in a tin, or wrapped in foil - before eating.)

4oz butter
4oz sugar
8oz self-raising flour
2 heaped tablespoons golden syrup or treacle
2 eggs
1¼ teaspoons mixed spice
½ teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda, dissolved in
½ cup boiling water

Cream butter and sugar together.
Add beaten egg, flour, ginger, spice. Stir well.
Add syrup/treacle and bicarb. in water.
Mix together thoroughly.

Bake in well-greased tin at Gas Mark 3 (feel free to translate [] ) for 45 minutes.

If you prefer the dark sticky variety, try this:

Dark Gingerbread

8oz plain flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2oz soft brown sugar
4oz margarine
6oz black treacle
2oz golden syrup
¼ pint milk
2 eggs, beaten

Sieve together flour, ginger, spice and bicarb. Stir in sugar.

Melt margarine, treacle and syrup gently.

Gradually beat in milk. Allow to cool. Add beaten eggs.

Stir liquids into dry mix.

Pour into greased 7 inch square deep cake tin.

Bake at 150 C, 300 F, Gas mark 2, for about 1 ¼ hours.

And diet-death:

Gingerbread Trifle

1/2 quantity Dark Gingerbread
jam (variety to taste)
2lb cooking apples (or yummy eaters like Cox)
ground ginger (to taste, try 1 teasp)
3oz sugar
1/2 pint creamy custard
cream

Split gingerbread and spread with jam. Place in serving dish.

Stew apples with ginger and sugar.

Pour over gingerbread (while apples hot), and leave to soak for one hour, at least. (I leave it overnight in the fridge.)

Top with custard.

Decorate with whipped cream.

Eat.

Die, and go straight to heaven. []

I hope you enjoy these if you try them!

Happy Hallowe'en!

[ 10-13-2004, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Sauron's Secret Agent ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"Taters... boil em, mash, em, stick em in a stew!"

Samwise surely baked a few in his culinary days. One he brought home from the south was this hot number...

Twice-Baked Potatoes with Salsa
  • 2 large baking potatoes (8 ounces each)
  • 1/4 cup low-fat (1%) cottage cheese
  • 1/4 cup low-fat (1.5%) buttermilk
  • 2 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel)
  • 2 scallions, minced
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh jalapeño pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 3/4 pound tomatoes, diced
  • 1 small red bell pepper, diced
  • 1/3 cup minced red onion
  • 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Prick potatoes in several places. Bake for 45 minutes, or until tender. When cool enough to handle, halve potatoes lengthwise. With fork, fluff potato flesh inside and transfer to a bowl, leaving enough potato attached to skin to form a sturdy shell, about 1/8-inch thick.

2. Add cottage cheese, buttermilk, cream cheese, scallions, 1-1/2 teaspoons of jalapeño pepper, and the black pepper. Mix well to combine, then spoon into potato shells. Return to oven and bake until stuffing is piping hot, about 20 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together tomatoes, bell pepper, red onion, cilantro, vinegar, sugar, salt, and remaining 1-1/2 teaspoons jalapeño. Spoon salsa over potatoes and serve.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

oooh!!! yummy stuff! How about a recipe for barbequed turkey?

[ 11-08-2004, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Celebrían ]

Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Party Tree Recipes (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  12  13  14 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help