Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  12  13  14 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Party Tree Recipes (Page 3)
Author Topic: Party Tree Recipes
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yum, it's that time of year!
Peaches lightly broiled with broken walnuts and toasted wheat germ. Add a tiny bit of sweet whipped cream as a garnish.

From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silaldien
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4787
posted      Profile for Silaldien   Email Silaldien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Special Breakfast Toast

1 slice of bread
1 egg
2 slices of cheese (any kind your little heart desires)

Cut the egg up. Put it on the bread. Put cheese on top of that. Put in toaster oven. Set for light toast (or just heat until cheese melts)

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I enjoy moonlit walks on the beach, long luxurious bubble baths, and poking dead things with a stick...

Not many fully understand the power of FEET!!!

Don't try to read the sig, for that is impossible. Instead...only try to realize the truth. There is no sig.

From: nowhere in particular | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some things that our very own Michael Martinez has said about food in Middle-earth.

And here is a recipe for Beorn's honey cakes I found at theonering.net. I want to try this one.

Beorn's Honey Nut Cake

by Balin

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups of cottage cheese
1 1/2 tbsp sifted flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup sour cream
3 eggs, separated
3/4 cup of Beorn's famous honey
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp lemon juice
rind of 1 lemon , grated
3/4 cup of wheat germ, divided
1/2 chopped nuts

Butter a 9 inch square cake pan. Sprinkle the bottom of the pan with 2 tbsp of wheat germ and 1/2 cup of chopped nuts. Put 1 1/2 cups of cottage cheese through a strainer, discarding the liquid. Mix the strained cottage cheese with the sifted flour, salt, sour cream, well beaten egg yolks, honey, butter, lemon juice, grated lemon, and the balance of the wheat germ. Fold in 3 egg whites, stiffly beaten. Pour in the prepared pan and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. Let cool completely.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
For Singollo, who asked: Falas Rhûn Crabcakes

1 slice of white bread, crust removed (the less bread the better)
1-2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon OLD BAY Seasoning (contains enough salt)
1 egg, beaten
1 pound/450g crab meat, clear of shell

Crumble the bread, add everything but the meat and mix.
Add the meat and shape into patties gently.
Fry or broil about 5 minutes per side.

[ 08-17-2004, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Celebrían ]

From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Alright.. lets do some real cheffin' .....

Burgundy Skirt Steaks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• 1 Cup Burgundy Wine
  • 2 Tablespoons Champagne wine vinegar
  • ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary leaves (crushed)
  • ¼ teaspoon dried sage, (crushed)
  • ¼ teaspoon coriander seeds (crushed)
  • ¼ teaspoon dried thyme leaves (crushed)
  • 5 black peppercorns (crushed)
  • 2 whole cloves
  • 4 skirt steaks, placed with wooden skewers
  • salt & pepper (optional, to taste)
  • ½ small onion, thinly sliced
  • ¼ carrot, thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
  • 3 sprigs of parsley
  • 1 tablespoons Olive oil
  • ½ teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon cold water
  • 1 Tablespoon apple jelly
  • 1 Tablespoon cognac or brandy
1. In a small saucepan, mix the wine, vimegar, rosemary, sage, coriander, thyme, peppercorns, and cloves.
Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
Set this aside to cool.

2. Sprinkle steaks on both sides with salt and pepper and rub into meat. Put them into a dish where they fit easily.
Add onion, carrot, garlic, & parsley.
Pour wine mixture (what you heated earlier) over steak and
vegtables.
Cover and refrigerate overnight.

3. (Next day) Remove steak from marnide and set it aside.
Strain the maranide through a sieve and toss out the captured solids.
Boil the remaining maranide until it is reduced by about half, then set aside.

4. Heat olive oil ina large heavy skillet until its very hot, and I mean hot!
Add steaks and cook until tey are nicely brown.
Turn and brown the other side. This process usuallt takes about 5-7 minutes depending on your stove's idiosyncrocys and the thickness of the steaks.
When cooked to your preference (meduim, medium-rare, etc.) remove to a platter and keep warm.
Pour the oil out of the skillet.

5. Blend cornstarch & water; when smooth whisk into the reduced sauce.
Add jelly and cognac or brandy.
pour sauce into hot skillet and simmer until thickened, stirring to incorporate previous browings left in skillet.
Place the steaks on warm plates and pour sauce over them.
This is for four servings.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Celebrían- Thanks! []

Any idea how many patties that makes?

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

Singollo, the crabcake recipe should make about 6 patties.
Thorin, That honey recipe looks like a good one to try in September, when the cook traditionally uses the old year's honey, to make room for the new.
Silaldien, welcome to Minas Tirith!
Snowdog, what would you serve as accompaniments to the steak?

[ 08-19-2004, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Celebrían ]

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Baked potatoes and corn on the cob of course!
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Baked potatoes. With lots of unsalted butter. Mmmmmmmm.

*has nostalgic moment*

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

We'll be looking for your recipe for Garlic Mashed Potatoes then-
or is it a secret?

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Garlic mashed are easy..

Add potatoes to kettle of water
Heat water
Add garlic salt to water
Let boil until potatoes are done
drain water
mash

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nah. It's much more evil than that.

*goes to find proper proportions of ingredients*

I tend to make it up as I go along...

edit: Found it! If you count calories, carbs, or are generally watching your weight, don't read on!

Garlic Mash

- Boil 2lbs potatoes until tender, but not soft.
- Drain, return to pan, cover with a clean cloth and stand over a low heat for a few minutes to absorb the moisture.
- Add 7 oz 'soft garlic and herb cheese' and 4 tabs milk to the potatoes. Season to taste. Then mash until the mixture is smooth.

- If you are feeling really self-indulgent, add 2 oz butter before mashing.

Gently reheat.

Please do NOT blame me if this causes cardiac arrest. Though it may well be worth it. []

I am assuming the cheese is available in America. If not, you're sunk! It's kinda like Philly, with added garlic and herbs.

Glorious with any kind of meat. Lovely on its own.

I miss it! []

[ 08-23-2004, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Sauron's Secret Agent ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Queen of Grammar with King Marcho.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

I think my evil version should be called "Sharkey's End Mash" - it's likely to be anybody's end if eaten too often. []

Mind, it is to die for. []

You can also add approx 4oz cooked sweetcorn and some chopped spring onions to it, if you wish. I've also made it with sautéed mushrooms - very Hobbitish!

Just occasionally, I curse Dr Atkins - but the whim passes.

[ 08-25-2004, 04:37 AM: Message edited by: Sauron's Secret Agent ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Queen of Grammar with King Marcho.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

*doubles*

I'm all for easy cooking when I'm busy, so here is Pippin's Steak Parcel (with apologies to Steve, who gave me this fool-proof recipe). Serves 2.

Ingredients:

enough steak for two people
2 oz butter
2 cloves garlic, crushed
4 oz mushrooms, sliced
1 packet dry soup mix (onion or mushroom)
2 glasses red wine
salt and pepper

Method:

- Lay sheet of double thickness foil on baking tray. Spread butter on, and sprinkle with the garlic.
- Sprinkle with half the soup mix and put steak on top.
- Cover with rest of soup mix, and season.
- Arrange mushrooms around meat and pour wine over.
- Fold foil to make a parcel.
- Bake in oven for one and a half hours at 180 degrees C, 360 F.

This is ideal to leave to cook on automatic while you go out. It makes the most wonderful sort of steak casserole in a package. Serve with non-killer mash and green veggies.

I have a similar chicken recipe, if anyone wants it.

And for our threadmaster: Celebrían's Celebration Syllabub. Perfect for serving at banquets for visitors. []

Ingredients:

1 lemon (preferably) or 4 tabs lemon juice
1/4 pint sweet sherry
2 tabs brandy
2 oz sugar
1/2 pint double cream (I think that's what you guys call heavy cream)
fresh lemon slices, or crystallized lemon slices

Method:

Finely grate rind of well-washed lemon. Squeeze juice. Place in bowl with sugar and sherry and brandy. Stir until sugar gives up the unequal struggle and dissolves.
Pour in the cream, and whisk until mixture will form soft peaks.
Spoon into 4 dishes. Chill.
Decorate with lemon slices, and serve.

This can be made the day before as it keeps well in the fridge.

It is also delicious served with a fresh fruit salad.

[ 08-24-2004, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Sauron's Secret Agent ]

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Middle Earth it eh? Ok....

Take a large Master Samwise® Iron cookpot, fill it with good clean water, and suspend securely over a medium campfire to heat.

Steal several of Farmer Maggot's large Farthing Gold potatoes and cut them in half through the middle, then quarter the two halves. Add them to kettle of water.

Take out your seasoning box, and add a good palm full of East Farthing Garlic salt to water & potatoes before the water boils.
Stir the cookpot and sit back against the tree trunk and relax while the water boils the potatoes.
Check with your dagger a top potatoe to see if its soft and dont stick to the blade. This tells you they are done. Time depends on the size and amount of potatoes cooked.

When done to satisfaction, remove cookpot from fire and drain water.
Mash with a wooden masher, or clean rock. Add more garlic salt to taste.

Enjoy!

[ 08-25-2004, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Snowdog ]

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

I will add that these potatoes would make a good accompaniment to SSA's steaks! []

Yes, give us the chicken one too!

[ 08-25-2004, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Snowdog ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

Your wish, Snowdog.....

Samwise Chicken

Ingredients:

4 chicken pieces (preferably breasts)
salt and black pepper
1 onion
4 oz mushrooms
lemon juice
2 oz butter

Method:

Season chicken well. Slice onion and mushrooms.

Place each chicken piece on a square of foil.
Divide veg between the parcels.
Sprinkle with lemon juice, and dot with butter.

Make parcels by making double folds at top and ends. Place on baking tray.

Cook at 200 degrees C or 400 degrees F for one hour.

Serve with your choice of Gaffer's vegetables.

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Thanks SSA! I do prefer breasts, and legs. []
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

Why am I not surprised? []

*dons ankle-length caftan*

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

Here I go again.

Easterlings Chicken Salad

Actually it sounds a bit tame for them, but still.

2 red onions, finely sliced
3-4 teaspoons curry powder
2 teaspoons olive oil
12 oz cooked chicken, diced
4 oz dried apricots
2 oz sultanas
3 tablespoons very good mayonnaise
3 tablespoons plain yogurt

1. Heat the olive oil, and fry the onions and curry powder, gently, until the onions are soft.
2. In a large bowl, combine the cooked onions, dried fruit, mayonnaise and yogurt. Stir well.
3. Add the chicken and mix until well coated. Refrigerate for several hours, or overnight, to allow the flavors to combine.
4. Serve with either a green or a mixed salad.

Now you know what my lunches at school will be this week. [] I just made this.

[ 08-30-2004, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Sauron's Secret Agent ]

Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Get that curry powder out of it, SSA, and this just might be a good recipe. []

Why do you English add curry to everything?

edit: I don't know about the dried apricots, either.

[ 08-30-2004, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Snow Wizard ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
GEAUX SAINTS!!

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

I rarely add curry to anything, but this is truly wonderful. Trust me. Try making half the recipe to try it. You can use less curry powder, and just have it lightly seasoned.

I don't actually like curries as such, but this is really really good.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, you have great taste in food and you're a great cook, so I'll give it a shot. Maybe I could substitute another seasoning besides curry if I don't like it with the curry. What about the dried apricots? Do you dice them or throw them in whole?
From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

Chop the apricots up into small pieces. I actually use only about 2 oz - it gets a bit sweet otherwise.

It occurs to me that we can buy something called (don't yell at me) Cajun Spice. That might work just as well actually. It's to die for in a tomato-based pasta sauce. []

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

There's no need to yell at you. We have a bunch of different makers of Cajun Spice here. I like Tony Chachere's the best.

It's great on BBQ, beans and rice, chicken, and eggs too.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
GEAUX SAINTS!!

Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Party Tree Recipes (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  12  13  14 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help