Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  ...  12  13  14 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Party Tree Recipes (Page 2)
Author Topic: Party Tree Recipes
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I thought that "rapscallion" was a Shakespearean insult. []

Celebrían-

quote:
Singollo, how long do you allow for baking the salmon? Do you go by weight or by thickness of the fish?

[] I'm the wrong person to ask... I never follow recipes to the letter. I'm one of those "fly by the seat of his pants" cooks. The baking goes quite quick, however... around 10 minutes, though I like it extra pink in the middle.
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer my spring onions to be silent, although those rapping ones fairly quieten down when you chop 'em up. []
From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I remember now, there was a famous book about those vegetables: Silent Spring Onions. Rachel Carson documented the atrocities committed by Dwarves ( [] ) against scallions, pearl onions, Vidalia onions, shallots, and several varieties of garlic. There was even a poem and a painting based on these events- The Lady of Shallots.

[]

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

Double-posting, with justification. []

Chica Chubb's Arroz con Pollo (Rice with Chicken)

1-2 boneless, skinless chicken breast(s), cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 large onion, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, de-seeded and minced
1 green (bell) pepper, de-seeded and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 15-oz can diced, stewed tomatos with liquid
1 cup long-grain white rice, uncooked
Canola oil as needed

This recipe is easiest to prepare using a wok (ethnically inappropriate, but true nonetheless). First, stir-fry chicken pieces in a small amount of oil until cooked through; remove from wok and set aside. Next, stir fry onion, garlic, and peppers in a small amount of oil, for 2-3 minutes. Add uncooked rice and enough oil to keep rice from sticking (doesn't require more than about a tablespoon-we're not deep-frying here!). Stir-fry rice until grains turn golden-brown. Add diced tomatos and their liquid-you might want to add another half-cup of water, because the rice will cook in this liquid. Reduce heat to low, cover wok, and cook rice, tomatos, and other vegetables for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked (don't overcook rice though). Add chicken pieces to heat through before serving; top each bowl with grated cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, and add salt and pepper to taste.

A fresh fruit salad makes a nice accompaniment, and flour tortillas (with butter, if you want to be a fat Texan [] ) should be offered on the side. I like the Guerrerro brand flour tortillas that you heat on a griddle just before serving-most other brands taste like cardboard to me.

EDIT: Forgot green pepper. []

[ 06-27-2004, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: Gna ]

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the salmon, I saw a very Middle-earthy way of cooking salmon fillets in Finland. We took a large fillet and nailed it to a birch board with birch pegs. We then sprinkled sea salt and lemon juice on it and propped it up perpendicular to a camp fire. Quite tasty! But I don't know how many lemons were in the north-west of Middle-earth at the end of the Third Age.

I remember a "Herb and Stewed Rabbit" recipe from somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thorin- that reminds me of something we do in northern Sweden when we are out fishing. We take trout, sprinkle sea-salt and squeeze lemon on it, wrap it in tinfoil and lay it on the campfire. Delicious...
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Turkey Chedder Chili

• 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 white or yellow onion, chopped
  • 2-3 serreno chillies, seeded and chopped
  • 1½ lb. lean ground turkey
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cummin
  • 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder (or Raven's)
  • 16 Oz. diced tomatoes (fresh) or one can storebought
  • 3 cups (2 15 Oz. cans) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup grated extra-sharp chedder cheese
  • 1 cup hot salsa
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium/high heat.
Add garlic, onions, & chilies & cook, stirring several times until onion is soft (usually 4-5 minutes).
Add turkey, ¼ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon cummin, ½ teaspoon chili powder.

Stir and break up the turkey and reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring frequently until turkey is done (usually 8-10 minutes).
Add tomatoes and beans and cook for another 6-8 minutes.
Season to taste.
Serve immediatly, garnish with cheese and salsa.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alothmin i Nolmo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3706
posted      Profile for Alothmin i Nolmo   Email Alothmin i Nolmo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I think I found a really good site that would be perfect for this thread.... Let me look.
YEA!! FOUND IT! [] Ok, the link:
THE BEST MEDIEVAL RECIPE LINK PAGE EVER!!!!
Apologies for the over use of capitalization.

[ 07-07-2004, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Alothmin i Nolmo ]

From: Land of Rain | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arorë Silvertongue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3570

posted      Profile for Arorë Silvertongue   Author's Homepage   Email Arorë Silvertongue   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Alothmin - you DO know there is an edit button, right?

Anyway, here is my lembas recipe.

Lembas

6Tbsp. honey
6Tbsp. butter, soft but not melted
4 Cups unbleached flour
2 eggs
1 Cup milk
4 Tbsp. heavy cream
2-4 Tbsp. granulated sugar (depending on your sweet tooth)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In large bowl mix honey, butter and four together with a fork or pastry masher until the mixture reaches the consistancy of cornmeal. Add sugar. Mix. In a smaller bowl mix milk and eggs. Mix egg+milk mixture and cream into the flour mixture. Mix just until it becomes a stiff, sticky dough. Knead three or four times on a lightly foured surface. Roll out to a 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into round or oval shapes and place on very lightly greased cookie sheet.
Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the bottoms(hard to tell, I know) are just lightly golden brown.
Do NOT eat until cool.

If you don't store these in an air tight contaner they will last for a while though they will get hard.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Now it is a strange thing, but things that are good to have and days that are good to spend are soon told about, and not much to listen to; while things that are uncomfortable, palpitating, and even gruesome, may make a good tale, and take a deal of telling anyway.
~J.R.R. Tolkien

From: Home. For now. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else get tired just reading Glóin's recipe? Ha!
I'm trying Gna's recipe tonight.
Snowdog's version looks good, as long as one stands next to Wetwang for 24 hours afterwards... []
Alothmin, that is one great site! []
Is anyone willing to field-test the sweet recipes of WhiteMaiden and Arorë?

From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arorë Silvertongue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3570

posted      Profile for Arorë Silvertongue   Author's Homepage   Email Arorë Silvertongue   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I know mine is sweet, but I make it all the time and it's not like a desert or anything. It's actually very filling.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Now it is a strange thing, but things that are good to have and days that are good to spend are soon told about, and not much to listen to; while things that are uncomfortable, palpitating, and even gruesome, may make a good tale, and take a deal of telling anyway.
~J.R.R. Tolkien

From: Home. For now. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

Celebrían-I made the dish recently using 2 large fresh tomatos (a gift from a friend's organic garden), which I peeled, diced, and stewed for 10 minutes or so. Makes the flavor even better!

*awaits more culinary confusion from Wandering Tuor, re: peeling and stewing*

Also never, ever handle contact lenses or touch eyes after cutting up jalapeno peppers. Might seem like a no-brainer, but sometimes one forgets-actually, it's a good idea to wear disposable latex gloves while chopping hot peppers, since the oils won't wash away with water alone.

Repeat after me: Cap-sai-cin. No-ci-cep-tion. []

Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

*repeats*

Cap-sai-cin. No-ci-cep-tion. []

I'm planning on trying both Snowdog's and Gna's recipes... [] I've actually been looking for a non-beef chili recipe.

Good idea for a thread Celebrían!

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Love the Medieval Recipe site!

Ok, the chili is for those cold winter nights in the Shire or Eriador.
For summer and something from the south, there is this favorite Gondorian dish from Anfalas...

Bacon & Chedder Clams

Beachcomb for some nice Ocean Clams. The cove midway between the outwash of the two rivers is the most popular clam beds.
Prepare the clams.
Get some good lean center cut Bacon, any good butcher will be able to supply some nice cuts.
Get a brick of sharp cheddar cheese, White Mountain Vale from Rohan is the best.

Now for the fun....

Wrap a clam with about a 1/3 strip bacon & secure it with a pinelog splinter (toothpick)

Place them in a shallow baking dish.

Bake or broil until bacon is nearly cooked.

Place a cube of cheese on top and continue cooking until cheese melts.

Enjoy!

A variation is to drop the bacon wrapped clam in hot fat and deep fry them, and add shredded cheese to the fresh-cooked clam wraps.

[ 07-02-2004, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Snowdog ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Finding that White Mountain Vale cheddar may be a challenge, but your recipe sounds delicious as a Party Tree recipe, Snowdog.
From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Well, the West Farthing yellow works well too!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
- Bilbo Baggins

Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

For material for the sake of RP players, may I quote from The Compleat American Housewife 1776 by Julianne Belote. Nitty Gritty Productions. 1974,
"How we all must regret to hear some Persons, even of Quality say, "pray, carve up that Hen," or "halve that Plover" not considering how indiscreetly they talk. These are the proper Terms:
code:
   cut up a turkey
rear a goose
unbrace a Mallard or duck
unlace a coney
wing a partidge or quail
allay a pheasant
dismember a hern
thigh a woodcock
display a crane
lift a swan."

[ 07-07-2004, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: Celebrían ]

Roll of Honor Mad Uncle Rupert
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

posted      Profile for Mad Uncle Rupert   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Singy:
quote:
I'm aware of that... I was born and raised in Hawaii, you dinny Brit! Saw or hammer... it still makes a heck of a mess.

A Hawai'ian friend showed me how to open a coconut bare-handed, but I could never pull it off.

Celebrían: Dear Lady, would it be alright for me to share some of those recipes you discussed in PM? I know a great crabcake recipe, some excellent chili, and how to make a traditional haggis (all but impossible in the US.)

Kudos to the pledge drive, by the way! []

From: Playing softball with the Nazarenes | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

MUR, by all means, post recipes from your corner of Arda!
Middle-earth references are appreciated.
*nudges him towards the Shire post office at lunchtime*

Alothmin i Nolmo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3706
posted      Profile for Alothmin i Nolmo   Email Alothmin i Nolmo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. I must try eating one of those "herns" sometime. Do they sell those at Fred Meyers?
[]
Tired of rabbits nibbling at your garden? Well get out your shotgun because I now present a
Recipe for Roast Hare
Take a skinned, cleaned hare. Boil it lightly with water and salt in a heavy boiling-pot [heavy boiling pot not mentioned in published Arabic text]; drain off the water and thread it on a skewer and turn it over a moderate charcoal fire; then grease it with fresh butter once and when the meat is done, remove from its joints and cut it up in a serving dish. Pour on it a sauce of vinegar and a little murri naqî', ginger, thyme, cumin, oil and a little pounded garlic; boil all this and pour it on it. Greasing it with fresh butter at the time of roasting is to moderated the dryness of its nature. If coated with oil of sweet almonds it is very good.

Do not ask me what murri naqî is. I do not know.
Interesting link to
A Marzipan Chess Set

[ 07-07-2004, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Alothmin i Nolmo ]

From: Land of Rain | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

MUR-

quote:
I know a great crabcake recipe
Please post it! I love crabcakes, and would like a good recipe for them. []
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

Eledhsúle, I found the orange lembas recipe.
'Twas quite pungent. Dwarf-tested. Lembas recipe

Roll of Honor Aranel Charis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2061

posted      Profile for Aranel Charis   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Where again do you find this mysterious flower water? Eled never mentioned where she got it!
From: Leeds | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eledhsúle
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1980

posted      Profile for Eledhsúle   Author's Homepage   Email Eledhsúle   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Cele - I can't believe you found it! Thank You!

Aranel - Flower water... yes... I used what they suggested in the recepy. It's too hard finding a mallorn tree. []
So, I did used orange flower water... it's easy to make you take orange flowers and you but them in a jar filled with spring water and let it stay in it for a day, then remove flower and sieve the water to another jar. You have flower water then. ofcourse if you want to be exact it usually takes more than a day. []

From: Finland | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Party Tree Recipes (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  ...  12  13  14 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help