Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Party Tree Recipes (Page 13)
Author Topic: Party Tree Recipes
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
YOM, looking through this thread again is making me seriously hungry. [] I never did get round to making SSA's lemon curd ice cream (with or without meringuey bits) but it may have to be done.

To the shopping list! []

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, and I saw this thread, and went looking for your Ginger Icecream, Athene.

I had forgotten about it until a few weeks ago, and then couldn't find where I'd copied the recipe. Now it's found, and we shall be having it at the weekend - as I recall, it is yummy beyond belief. And Daughter can't remember ever having it! She ate enough of it, but then she has no memory at all. And she's neither blonde nor geriatric. []

If Snöwdog is around, what can a Brit use in place of the chicken broth in your Baked Potato Soup Recipe please?

[ 07-05-2011, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Sauron's Secret Agent ]

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I had also lost the recipe, and was extremely glad to find it preserved here! Oh dear, I'll have to go and buy some more ginger wine. Why is life so HARD. []
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It is hard because it is hard, dear lady. Unlike your icecream []
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wiser words have never been spoken SSA (and easy to take out of context!)... [] [] Hi!
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] Wisdom thread. []

[ 07-05-2011, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Artaresto ]

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I see Thingy's on form. []
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If Snöwdog is around, what can a Brit use in place of the chicken broth in your Baked Potato Soup Recipe please?
I'm around. Good to see you back! []

One can use the dry powder or cube chicken stock with water in place of the canned/boxed sort. Not sure what is available in the UK.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

We do have chicken stock in dry cube, jelly cube, dry powder, smooshy liquid and concentrate form. []

Or, if anybody happens to be in the Midlands, we have Athene's freezer, which has thousands of little pots of home-made organic chicken stock, because she makes loads of it and then forgets she already has a freezerful. [] Please feel free to pop round and relieve me of some of it.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

Ah, it is stock! I wondered after I'd posted, but I've been caught out by American recipes before [] Thank you Snöwdog - and good to see you too []

I'll be round on Saturday, Athene []

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Please do. I'm going to have to start siphoning it into the cats if it gets much worse. []
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Doubling as Ham asked a question about pastry in the Newt: the simple answer is that homemade pastry is every bit as good, if not better, than shop-bought, and is just as easy to handle. There are some basic tricks you can use to make it successful.

First of all, your ratio of fat to flour must be 1:2 by weight. You can make the pastry shorter by using more fat, but it's best to keep it simple until you're more confident.

Rub the flour and fat together by hand until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Your hands must be clean, dry and most of all cool. If you have warm or sweaty hands you will turn the mixture into an emulsion and it won't roll out properly.

Have some very cold water on hand to finish the pastry. Dribble it in a little at a time; you will learn with practice how much to use. Use a butter knife to 'cut' the water through the mix; sounds bizarre but it does work. Then mix using your hands.

When ready the pastry should be malleable and you should be able to clean the bowl with it as though it was Blu-Tac. You can add a little extra flour or water if it's not right but be careful not to go too far the other way. Pastry can be left to sit in the 'fridge for several hours if it's not needed at once.

Give yourself plenty of space, and dust your worktop, hands and rolling pin with flour. Always roll pastry away from you; resist the temptation to roll the pin back and forth, as the natural elasticity of the pastry will cause it to rip.

When lifting the pastry, either to turn it for more rolling or to place it in the dish, drape it over the rolling pin. This keeps it stretched and is a convenient way to move it around without damaging it.

Place the pastry lid over the filled pie and roll the rolling pin over the dish a few times, creating a neat edge of pastry.

The heat of the oven will cause the pastry to shrink a little, so try to push the pastry lid out a few millimetres from the edge of the dish. You can also crimp the edges like a pork pie to seal the casing and prevent shrinkage.

Hope this is useful. []

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that Theney a couple of ideas I hadn't thought of! []
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would think that Hobbit-parties would consist of Tostins on Portabella or something like that []
From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using the 1 to 2 ratio, I must admit to me that does seem to have rather a lot of fat. Unless you like your pastry with lots of marge in! []
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Aiyee, marge! *refuses to cook with near-plastic herself* []
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Pound cake!

Traditionally made with a pound of each of four ingredients: flour, butter, eggs, and sugar, or a 1:1:1:1 ratio.

Simple and delicious.

e: or is it now the half kilo cake everywhere but the USA?

[ 11-03-2011, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: pi ]

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

I would just like to add to Athene's excellent pastry tutorial that if you are not using your pastry straight away, wrap or cover it with cling film (Saran Wrap in the U.S. I think) otherwise it will develop a nasty crusty outside. The Sainted Delia advises always 'resting' pastry in the fridge for about half an hour before using. But I usually can't be bothered []

Hamfast! What are you thinking of, man? Never never never use marge!
[This message is brought to you by the Lovers of Butter organization.]

Pish tush, Pi - away with your filthy kilos! Pound cake shall remain Pound cake in perpetuity.
[This message is brought to you by the Olde Englishe Measurements Societie.]

SSA's posts are sponsored by Return to Merry England .com

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I don't use metric, much to the confusion of my contempories. [] Certainly for baking pounds and ounces are so much easier.

RE:Pastry, my Mississippi Mud Pie recipe also says to rest pastry in the fridge for a while.

[ 11-04-2011, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking of making some Chinese Five-Spice Chicken for dinner....
From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I made Chinese Five-Spice Chicken for dinner tonight.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds delicious, I love spicy everything. Do you have a special recipe?
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

It's based on a recipe in a Maie Claire cookbook. My sweet & I both have our own adjustments to it.
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

[] Tagliatelle alla Dappertutto []

Now this is a bit of a weird one, but you are just going to have to take my word for it. This is about to become your favourite pasta dish. [] This quantity serves one.

Ingredients:
250g spinach
Half a portion of garlic and herb Boursin
100ml milk
50ml light soy sauce
Tagliatelle
Liberal use of freshly ground black pepper

Method:
Wash the spinach and wilt without adding extra water. Set aside to cool. When cool, squeeze the excess liquid out with your hands and chop roughly. Kitchen scissors are the easiest for this.

In the meantime, boil a pan of water and put the pasta on to cook. Boil as long as it says on the packet, or to taste.*

Put the milk, the soy, the cheese and the black pepper into the pan that the spinach was in and heat through until the cheese melts and forms a sauce which coats the back of the spoon. Return the spinach to the sauce and stir in well.

Drain the pasta, mix in with the sauce and consume with extreme gusto.

*I am ashamed to say that I prefer my tagliatelle not al dente, but slightly soggy. My part-Italian GF nearly dumped me when she found this out. []

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

Just got this from my coworker so I haven't made it yet, but it sounds pretty good. this was straight copied - her format (or lack thereof) []

Sautee separately:

Large portebello mushroom per serving, white wine and chicken broth (use cap only)
Fresh spinach (can saute with white wine, pinch of salt, pepper, garlic etc)
Red Peppers (can roast fresh or use jar of cento or Victoria roasted red peppers)
chicken cutlet or grilled chicken (seasoned with garlic, onion, salt, pepper)...your preference of either
fresh mozzarella
After each one is cooked layer ingredients in a pyrex dish.
lay mushroom down first then
chicken
spinach
red peppers
thinly sliced mozzarella (i like alot of cheese melted on top)
place under broiler until cheese melts and starts to slightly brown
when done finish with a cream of balsamic - I prefer Giovanni Isola sometimes instead of spinach I sautee and grill asparagus al dente and lay it down on the plate first and then the creation on top.

Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Party Tree Recipes (Page 13)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help