Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Party Tree Recipes (Page 12)
Author Topic: Party Tree Recipes
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanksgiving Feast Menu:
Roasted turkey, garnished with onions and parsley
Cornbread Dressing with tarragon, stuffed inside the turkey
Cranberry Sauce, freshly made
Biscuits, warm
Relish tray of celery and bread and butter pickles
Green Beans with water chestnuts
Mashed Potatoes with white pepper
Sweet Potatoes with sauce of sage and maple syrup
Desserts of mince pie, pumpkin pie, apple pie and chocolate cake
Cider, tea and coffee

From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalkin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1029

posted      Profile for Kalkin   Email Kalkin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Per Celebrian's request, here is a recipe for jul glögg that I like.

Baically you need:

1 bottle of Sherry
1 bottle of port (for port and brandy you can substitute 1.5 - 2.0 bottles of cabernet)
1 bottle of brandy
1 bottle of akvavit (I know it's hard to find, but you can substitute vodka or whiskey)

~ 1 cup of sugar cubes (lump sugar)

The night before combine ....
10 cardamom pods
10 cloves
2-3 cinnamon sticks
1 piece candied orange peel
1 1/2 cups blanched whole almonds
1 1/2 cups raisins

...with enough sherry and port to cover the mixture. Bring it to a boil and let it sit in the fridge overnite.

The next day, heat the mixture, and add the rest of the sherry, port and akvavit. Place about 1/2 to 1 cup of sugar cubes in a strainer. Holding the strainer of the hot mixture, begin pouring the brandy over the cubes and light the cubes on fire. This carmelizes the sugar and also lights the mixture on fire (relax, it's just some small gentle flames). Keep this up until the sugar is gone.

Serve and enjoy!

[ 01-02-2007, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Kalkin ]

From: Chicago | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Baked Potato Soup
  • ½ stick (¼ cup) butter
  • ¼ cup chopped onion
  • ¼ cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 can (15oz.) chicken broth
  • 1 can evaporated milk
  • 2-3 medium/large baked potatoes
Toppings:
  • Real Bacon Bits
  • shredded chedder cheese
  • chopped green onions
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally for 1 to 2 minutes until the onions are tender. Gradually stir in the broth and evaporated milk. Scoop out one baked potato from skin and add to saucepan mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring it occasionally until it begins to boil. Dice up remaining potato skin, and the other potato and its skin and add it to the saucepan. Heat it until its just about to boil, and serve in bowls. Top with toppings.

Yum! Serves 4.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Bill the Pony's Simple Spinach Salad

(Those with no opposable thumbs may need help with the pomegranate)

Big bag baby spinach leaves
Seeds from 1 pomegranate (make sure to watch for the bad ones and throw them away - you don't want to get colic and die! [] )
1 little bag toasted pumpkin seeds or pinenuts

For the dressing:
little bit olive oil
lemon juice
freshly-ground black pepper
little bit sugar, honey or mirin to taste

Good for humans and equids alike. []

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Saruman's Scientific Smoothie

Having turned my kitchen into a smoothie laboratory (i.e. bought a blender and lots of fruit) I have stumbled, one dark and stormy night whilst working late in my lab, upon what I believe to be the best fruit smoothie EVARRRR. I wish to share my discovery with the world.

Ingredients:
2 ripe mangoes
1 banana
handful of raspberries
1/3 litre applejuice
1/3 litre orange juice
juice from 1 fresh lime

Method:
Put in blender. Blitz. Drink.

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Does one need to peel the mangos and banana first Dubious, or is that just being fussy? []
And you seem to have a fetish for using capital 'S'! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Yes, peel them, Mr. Pedantic.
[]
Oh, and take the stone out of the mango too, blenders really don't like that.
[]

Roll of Honor Yo, Thubeldhia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5070

posted      Profile for Yo, Thubeldhia   Email Yo, Thubeldhia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I knew I was doing something wrong []
I'm going to buy a Thermomix... for my baby's purees. []

From: Far far away | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

quote:
Oh, and take the stone out of the mango too, blenders really don't like that.
Yeah, I guess not; frogs don't like blenders either! []
 -
See! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Beorn's Couscous and Chickpea Salad

Quick to fix, and perfect for lunch when unexpected company shows up...serve with whole wheat pita or French bread:

6 Tbsp vegetable broth
6 Tbsp water
3/4 c uncooked couscous
3/4 c cooked chickpeas
1/3 c chopped, seeded plum tomato
6 Tbsp feta cheese, crumbled
2 Tbsp chopped, pitted kalamata olives
2 Tbsp minced red onion
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/8 tsp salt
Dash of fresh ground pepper

1. Bring vegetable broth and water to boil in medium saucepan, gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
2. Combine cooked couscous and remaining ingredients in a large bowl.

EDIT: Not sure what "ted wine vinegar" is. []

[ 02-24-2007, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: Gna ]

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds really good, Gna. Have you actually made it and eaten it?

I guess one could substitute cannellini beans for the chickpeas. I don't really like chickpeas too much, even though I'll eat them.

About how many servings does it make?

[ 02-24-2007, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Snow Wizard ]

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I just had it for lunch-I made it with whole wheat couscous. The recipe makes about 4 generous servings, 6 as a side. The feta cheese and olives give the salad a tangy flavor, withut adding too much fat. []

[ 02-24-2007, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: Gna ]

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

Simple Shire Salmon

Ingredients

1x Thick cut salmon fillet (leave skin on)
6x Cherry tomatoes
4x Closed cup mushrooms halved
1x Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Dash of lemon juice
Pinch of mixed herbs
Salt and black pepper to taste

Method

1- Splash the salmon fillet with the lemon juice and season with the salt and some of the pepper. Leave for 5 minutes.
2- In a shallow frying pan heat the olive oil on a medium heat.
3- When oil is hot add salmon skin side up and cook for 2 or 3 minutes or until the salmon fillet is cooked about a third of the way through.
4- Turn the salmon fillet over.
5- Add the cherry tomatoes and mushrooms and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
6- Sprinkle everything with the pinch of mixed herbs.
7- Cook for a further 4 or 5 minutes.
8- Serve.

The tomatoes should just be splitting their skins and will be sweet, the mushrooms browning but moist and the salmon should have a nice crispy skin and still be nice and pink in the thick part of the fillet when cut in to and also moist.

I just had this for my tea; sheer heaven []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Burrahobbit Blackberry Cobbler

Put on your hobbit-length jeans (to deal with thornbushes) and fetch a colander. Pick about three cups worth of berries (you might have to sample a few others). Wash the dust and coax the ants off with a little cool water. Pour the blackberries into a quart casserole dish, add 1/4 cup of white sugar and 3 tablespoons of flour. Mix gently with your clean hands.

In a glass Pyrex measuring cup mix a cup of biscuit mix, a tablespoon of sweet butter and a couple tablespoons of brown sugar with a fork, breaking up the butter. Add 2/3 cup of milk. Knead the mix 10 times, gently gathering the flour bits back in. Separate into 5 biscuits, and place them evenly across the top of the blackberry mixture.

Bake at 400 degrees F for about 20 minutes.
Share while still warm with 4-5 hungry burrahobbits.

From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

Grendel's Arm Turkey Stock

Wrestle the neck (Grendel's arm) from the inside of that frozen mother of a turkey (the grocery store version, not the fancy butcher shop version), setting aside the heart, kidneys and liver for other meal options. Plop it in a small pot of water. Add scallion ends, celery leaves, pepper tops, sage and rosemary stems and such left from preparing the dressing (stuffing). Sprinkle on some sea salt and black pepper and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for 12 minutes and then set it on the back burner while the bird cooks.
Strain and use conservatively or liberally, according to your taste, in flavoring leek soup, or sauces. If you're a Nicolaitian and you had access to the live bird, nail the fowl claw to a stick and scare the kids with it. If you're a Christian, thank God for His blessings before you eat this concoction.

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Turkish BBQ Burgers

Get and mix together:
1Lb (1/2kg) good Ground Beef
3/4 cup dry Bread-crumbs
2 Tablespoons BBQ sauce
2 cloves of Garlic (crushed)
1 teaspoon ground Cumin

When thoroughly mixed, divide into 8 patties.

Get 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and heat it in a large fry pan.
Cook patties in the fry pan for about 3 minutes a side or until cooked through (If you like less cooked burgers, be sure to get your ground beef direct from a butcher freshly ground while you wait, or grind meat yourself).

Get this ready while burgers are cooking:

1 loaf of Turkish bread
1/2 cup Hummus
6 leaves of lettuce (shredded)
2 tomatoes (sliced)
1 cup Tabbouli

Cut loaf of Turkish bread into quarters.
Cut each quarter in half horizontally.
Lightly toast cut side.
Add the hummus, lettuce, tomato slices, tabbouli, & cooked pattie to the bread and eat!

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Cheap and Easy Winter Veggie Soup, for Frugal Hobbitses

Ingredients:
1 large leek
2 large carrots
4 sticks celery
1 pak choi head(optional)
2oz butter
1 vegetable stock cube
2oz flour
3 pints water
Mixed herbs (preferably fresh; must include sage)
Salt and pepper to taste

Chop the veggies into bit-size morsels. Fry everything except the pak choi in the butter on a low heat, until softened. Crumble the stock cube into the veggies, throw in the flour, and stir until the veggies are coated.

Mix in the water gradually, stirring continually so that the stock/flour melts into the water. Wait until soup has thickened slightly and add the herbs, seasoning and pak choi, if used. Soup is ready to eat immediately; it can become lumpy if frozen, but the lumps dissipate when it is stirred and re-heated.

The soup is very inexpensive, and takes little time to make.

[ 11-26-2007, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Athene ]

Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

So Mr Wang went and cooked lunch for his parents today as a treat and a thank you for various reasons []
And what did Mr Wang cook I hear you cry.....well I will tell you all []

Starter
Baked Camembert
A whole French Camembert studded with fresh thyme from the garden and baked in the oven until the centre is all warm and gooey. Served with slices of toasted, olive oil drizzled French baton that had been rubbed with a clove of garlic

Main Course
Organic Scottish Salmon
Baby Chestnut Mushrooms
Cherry Tomatoes on the Vine
Baby Leaf Salad
The salmon was marinated in orange blossom honey and the juice and grated zest of a lime for a couple of hours and pan fried in olive oil. The mushrooms and tomatoes were likewise cooked in a little olive oil with some mixed herbs and some lime juice. The juice left from the pan with the mushrooms and tomatoes was drizzled warm over the baby leaf salad.

Sweet
Strawberries dipped in Organic Dark Chocolate served with extra thick double cream.
I drizzled a little honey across the cream for added sweetness

And this was accompanied by a very nice bottle of French Chardonay []

I really do enjoy cooking for others and it was a pleasure to do so for my folks [] My dad is a trained chef and both he and my mother said it was absolutely delicious; and judging by their empty plates I'm inclined to agree with them! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

What a wonderful idea!
The seasonal approach of these latest entries usually rewards the cook with heightened flavor and enzyme-power.

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

I'm a little late as I couldn't find this thread a month ago...

Fourth of July Roasted Tomato Salsa

You need:
- 2 pounds Roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 medium white onion, cut into six wedges
- 1 large garlic clove, halved
- A couple pinches of finely ground sea salt
- 2-3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium dried guajillo chile pepper, soaked in boiling water until softened, and then drained
- 1 or 2 chipotles in adobo sauce (canned)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped

Heat oven to 400F degrees (200C).
Now gently tossed the tomatoes, onions, garlic, and salt with the olive oil in a large bowl.
After they are nicely coated arrange in a single layer, tomatoes cut-side facing up, across a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the tomatoes start to collapse and the onions begin to caramelize a bit.
Remove from the oven.
Puree the chiles (both the guajillo and chipotles) with the roasted garlic and two roasted tomato halves.
Chop the remaining tomatoes by hand (once they've cooled a bit).
Chop and add the onions as well.
Season with salt and stir in the cilantro.
Makes about 2 1/2 cups

Notes: If you can't find a guajillo pepper, no worries - just leave it out of the recipe. The salsa will still taste delicious with just the roasted tomatoes and chipotles. You can also substitute another type of chile if you like. The reddish-brown guajillo are known for their strong, complex and earthy flavor, and medium heat. Feel free to experiment with more readily available chiles from your area until you find one you really like to play off the flavors of the chipotles and roasted tomatoes. Two chipotles can be very spicy, consider yourself warned. Start with one, or even one-half a chipotle if you or your family are heat-sensitive, and work up from there.

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Edible Stained Glass Windows

These are a simple and effective treat for kids, and are great fun to make. Grown-ups can do the cooking and the pastry making, and the kids can have the inspiration.

Pre-child preparation:

Line several baking trays with baking parchment and set to one side.

For the shortcrust pastry:
4oz plain flour
2oz butter
A little cold water to mix
½ sugar if preferred, although I recommend you leave this out

Make sure you have cool hands. Cut the butter into little cubes, and rub together in a bowl with the flour, using your fingertips. The result should have the consistency of breadcrumbs. Add a very little cold water at a time, cutting the water through the mix with a butter knife. Mix into a firm, malleable dough with your hands. Pastry should be well-mixed but not kneaded as you would do with bread. Put in the 'fridge to cool.

For the filling:
Buy large packets of hard boiled sweets in various colours. Red, green and yellow are most effective. Put sweets into a tough plastic bag and batter with a rolling pin until crushed. This bit is fun and will pre-emptively reduce your tension levels ready for them to be raised again by the children.

Now fetch your kids:

Help your little ones to roll out strips of pastry around half an inch thick, and use them to build a frame on a baking tray. You will not be able to make really complicated designs, but you can always draw them out on a sheet of paper first if you like. Make sure that the pastry strips entirely separate the different areas of the windows. Squoosh the ends together to seal them.

Fetch the bags of smashed sweets, and gently dribble them into the panes of the windows. They should be at the same level as the pastry as they will melt down. Try to make sure that, as much as possible, adjacent panes don't contain the same colour.

Pre-heat your oven to 180°C, and pop them in. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until the stained glass is melted. Be sure to let them cool entirely before the children get hold of them, because the melted sweeties get very hot. Carefully turn them over and peel the baking parchment off.

Voilá! Nomable stained glass. []

[ 08-19-2009, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Athene ]

Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome. Thank you!
From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Of course, if you are making a Burning Bonfire for Balrogs cake, then you can leave out the pastry and just line a baking tray. []

[ 08-19-2009, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Athene ]

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

1. Get some good quality Italian Sausages from your local butcher.

2. Fire up your BBQ, be it gas or charcoal. Let it get nice and hot.

3. Place sausages on grill and let them cook. Do not rupture their skins.

4. Toast either some bread slices or hot-dog buns, and butter them when done.

5. Place sausages on bread, and dress according to your tastes. I myself just use a bit of ketchup/tomato sauce, but mustard, relish, and BBQ sauce works well too.

6. Enjoy eating!

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

And for July 4 Independence Day....

BBQ Burgers

• 1.5 pounds 80/20 ground beef
  • 3 Tblsp barbecue sauce
  • 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 tsp garlic salt

- Lightly mix all ingredients and shape into 4 patties.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes, uncovered, then remove from fridge and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes before grilling.
- Cook patties 3 minutes, then turn pattier (not flip) them ¼ of the way around on the grill and cook 2 minutes more.
- Flip patties over and cook for 2 minutes. Turn patties (not flip) ¼ of the way around on the grill and cook no more than 2 more minutes.
- Allow to sit five minutes before serving.
- Place patties on buns and top with thin slices of red onion and a ripe tomato slice. Yum!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Some Good Burger Grilling Tips

Other than fireworks, the backyard barbecue defines the 4th for most of us. But why struggle and stress to grill a great burger, when you could be relaxing with friends and enjoying the holiday with an ice cold lemonade? These eight tips will help you and your guests enjoy the juiciest, most flavorful barbecued burgers yet:

Fat is flavor, and you’ll get the best results from ground beef that is an 80/20 mix (80% beef, 20% fat). If you’re trying to be heart-healthier with a 90/10 or 93/7 mix, add 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil to each pound of ground beef.

The right seasoning can make all the difference. You can’t go wrong with simple salt and pepper, but for more flavorful patties add to each pound of ground beef 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; or mix ground beef together with one beaten egg, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.

When adding seasonings and ingredients to your beef, don’t over mix it. Just blend the ingredients gently with your hands (then wash them thoroughly) and form into patties. Blending heavily with a spoon, potato masher or kneading the beef will only make it tough when grilled.

Make the patties a bit thinner in the center or push the center gently with your thumb. This will help keep your burger flat and prevent it from getting a dome shape.

After shaping patties, place them in the refrigerator, uncovered, for 30 minutes – it acts as a kind of “dry aging.” Remove from fridge 10 to 15 minutes before grilling – if they’re too cold, the inside of the patty will be raw.

You want the outside of the patties to get a nice sear, but after that, cook them over indirect heat – close the lid to the grill and let the heat do the cooking, not the flame. A 6 oz patty should take about 4 or 5 minutes per side for medium doneness (it’s most flavorful when there’s still some pink inside).

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER push down on your patties with your spatula while they’re on the grill! You’re losing all the juice and flavor – really! And don’t keep moving or flipping the patties - one flip is enough.

When your burgers are cooked to your preferred doneness, make sure to put them on a clean plate (not that one with the raw meat juice on it) and allow them to rest for 5 minutes for maximum juiciness.
Serve your masterpiece with a good quality bun, fresh condiments, a load of napkins and soak up the compliments!

[ 07-05-2011, 04:18 AM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Party Tree Recipes (Page 12)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help