Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Music that the world should know about (Page 9)
Author Topic: Music that the world should know about
Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

posted      Profile for Mahanaxar   Email Mahanaxar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. Dare I say it, it may be even better than their first album! Yay! I just love Cornell's voice. I've been listening to a lot of old Soundgarden while waiting for this CD to come out. Oh mang.

Oh and the new SoaD CD is seriously one of the best albums I've heard in a long time. Their guitarist is writing the majority of their songs now and singing a lot more and I like the direction they're going. I can't really explain their sound on this album so I encourage you to listen to it yourself.

From: pants | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooooo. *sells a kidney*
Must own, must have
Must own, must have
Must own, must have
Must own, must have
[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I dislike the new Audioslave. It appears to be, despite the technical skills of the band members, which I do not dispute, a bit generic. I miss the raw, emotional aspect that Rage Against The Machine had in their day.
It is certainly a good album, with a high standard. But I think the lyrics are a bit dense, and Audioslave are a band among other bands.

I should possibly add that I was never that fond of Soundgarden as well - they had some good songs, but there were bands in that period that had more then they had.

From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

posted      Profile for Mahanaxar   Email Mahanaxar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As a drummer I just love Soundgarden's funky time changes and anything that has to do with Matt Cameron. Plus, as earlier stated, I love Cornell's voice.
From: pants | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No need to justify your choice! I wonder, ever listened into Fantomas? There you find tempo changes for sure [] As for drumming, there's of course Tool or maybe Dream Theater (though I'm not really in love with the latter).
From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As for drumming, there's of course Tool...
YEAH! []
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
People, listen up. There's a norwegian band (god forbid!) which aren't all that bad. At least the albums I've heard. They're called Motorpsycho, and play rock. But with a lot of old influences, great production and instrumentation, and plenty of variation.

Check out these albums:

Let them Eat Cake
It's A Love Cult
Phanerothyme

Lovely stuff!

So if you've heard 60's and/or 70's rock, and liked anything, chances are you'll dig this. But it's not all old school, so don't expect a retro cover band either. They are very good, their biggest minus would be the vocals. But if people can listen to Dylan, they can certainly live with this!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I'll drink to that.

From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imbëar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 729
posted      Profile for Imbëar   Author's Homepage   Email Imbëar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Belegurth's appraisal of Audioslave is one which I agree with.
And I second his recommendation of Fantomas...

If you're into something heavy, try Acidbath.

One of my closest friends is getting married today.
Last night, we sang Tool's Ænima album together....
there is magic in the music and the words.
If you have not found Tool, find them now...
you will be a richer, wiser, and sadder person (though not all tears are evil) for having done it.

"What was it like to see
the face of your own stability
suddenly look away,
leaving you with the dead and hopeless?" - Jimmy

Imbëar

From: Auburn, CA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

Great to see you posting again, friend! []

I will look/listen into Acidbath, as I have never heard of them.

And I hope the wedding will be a gate to a bright future for your friends and his wife - how could it not, with such a way to celebrate?

Talk to you soon!

Iarnar the Desert Dog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2529

posted      Profile for Iarnar the Desert Dog   Edit/Delete Post 
Pesky

This Mike Patton sounds like my kind of artist. I was beginning to think that he had to change bands a lot because he was difficult to work with ... but it sounds more like he works with different people to get different sounds.

From: on a horse with no name | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

As you implied in another thread, Mike Patton is an artist with a thousand faces, some more disturbing than others. His masterpiece in terms of complexity and alteration of sounds is certainly "Disco Volante" by Mr Bungle; Fantômas is very, very strange, but (at least for someone who's into more heavy music) more accessable (yes, I realize many people will disagree with me here, all right). I actually "reviewed" the first album here. I highly recommend the latest release by Fantômas, "Suspended Animation" - this CD runs like a cartoon, mostly because Patton & Company intended it to be that way. It is a complex, and yet very enjoyable record. But maybe I'm just used to Fantômas by now, in which case I should seek medical help.

The album you'll get most easily into by Fantômas would be "The Director's Cut", which deals with horror film themes - yet, it is very traditional in terms of song structure, or at least in terms of weird song structures compared to song structures the band pushes forward the rest of the time.

On Patton's label Ipecac is especially one other band I'd like to encourage anyone who is into slow, hard rythms and fantastic vocal work, Isis. On the latest CD, Panopticon, Adam Jones (Tool) helped along the way - I mention it because just as the aforementioned band, Isis has very "psychedelic" elements in their music.

---

Oh, and I am now in the position to second the recommendation of Acidbath - I got the CD "Pagan Terrorism Tactics", which showcases a lot of talent and melodies full of pressure. []

[ 06-30-2005, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Belegurth ]

Roll of Honor Eowyn of Edoras
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 714

posted      Profile for Eowyn of Edoras   Author's Homepage   Email Eowyn of Edoras   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this band in this thread yet. They're called Robert Randolph and the Family Band. They rock. They are so talented. They have a jazzy, funk, gospel feel. Haha, that sounds weird, but it really works. Their website is http://www.robertrandolph.net. If you're going to download any of their songs, I's recommend "I Need More Love," and "Nobody." I just went to one of their concerts last night, and it was a great time. I first saw them when they opened up for Dave Matthews Band earlier this summer. Definitely worth checking out.

[ 08-08-2005, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Eowyn of Edoras ]

From: Pa, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Randolph that guy who played steel-guitar funk on the grammies a few years back? That was smokin!
From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Eowyn of Edoras
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 714

posted      Profile for Eowyn of Edoras   Author's Homepage   Email Eowyn of Edoras   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, he rocks out on the steel guitar.
From: Pa, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Watch out for Spook!
 -

Their debut album came out Oct 10th. I got a hold of it on the 11th and I play it every day. [] Best songs are definitely Running Away, Lullaby, Fall, Predator, Cause & Effect and Glorious.

From: Mnemosyne's orchard | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZENITH
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 400

posted      Profile for ZENITH   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nine Black Alps

The Artic Monkeys

Arcade fire!

From: The Mens Room. ENGLAND | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aylah the Wind Sister
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2740

posted      Profile for Aylah the Wind Sister   Author's Homepage   Email Aylah the Wind Sister   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tsunami Bomb
I absolutely love Tsunami Bomb... they're a melodic Punk band with a Chick lead singer, but their last CD, The Definitive Act Got a whole lot darker than a lot of their previous stuff. They almost sound like a female -dare I say it?- Green Day. Almost. personally I'd say The Ultimate Escape is their best CD, but the invasion from Within!(their first album) is really hard to find, and they have at least one independently released record, Mayhem on the High Seas. They play in Warped Tour every year, for you Americans.
Some of their Better songs:
Headlights on a Handgrenade
Being Alright
Say it if You Mean it
Not Forever
Take the Reigns
El Diablo
Epic

Operation Ivy
I stole Energy from my brother, and it is awesome. Hurray for Punk Rock!
I really like Sound System and Jaded but there are a lot of other good songs... I just can't think of any.

Rancid, Operation Ivy's little brother
Op Ivy broke up right before Energy was Released, and apparently about half the band got back together to form Rancid.
I have And Out Come the Wolves and indestructable is saved on my computer, but I haven't listened to it very much.
Olympia Wa, Ruby Soho, Time Bomb, and MIA are probably my favorites off of AOCW

And Lastly,

Flogging Molly
I read a newspaper article about Flogging Molly that said they sounded like "The Clash meets The Pogues" (another excellent Irish band, btw...) and I do think that's a pretty accurate description. All I have is Within a Mile of Home, their latest CD, but it kicks ass. I especially like To Youth, Tobacco Island, and With a Wonder and a Wild Desire.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
A - Y - L - A - H. A-la. as in hay-lah, without the h.
"I'd better get my "Ride for ruin and the world's ending!" and "Death! Death! Death! DEATH!" the way it's supposed to be or heads will roll."~ Eomer
"Ah, what shall we play now? How about Chutes and Latter Day Saints? Or maybe Cardinal Land? Maybe Eternal Life? Pin the tail on the doctrine? Hungry Hungry Heretics?" ~ Talan
"What language is this again? Dumb ass?" ~ Imrahil

From: lets just say I have a ton of washing to do... | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arisimi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4131
posted      Profile for Arisimi   Email Arisimi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Killers
&
Gorillaz

(forgive the spelling)

From: Never-Never Land | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Ecthelion of the Fountain
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 955
posted      Profile for Ecthelion of the Fountain   Email Ecthelion of the Fountain   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sigur ros, icelandic music, and its not in english, but its not all icelandic. great music.

i was listening to Ágætis Byrjun coming over on a red eye from boston, round about the rockies (with a great moon and clear skies a hour or so beforerise) Vi›rar vel til loftárá comes on, im quasi awake, but i think it was one of the more beautiful times ive ever had in my life.

they came to town a month ago, that boy can sing higher than anyone ought to be able to.

good music, buy some.

heres a video http://www.emichrysalis.co.uk/quicktime/sigur_ros/glosoli/index.php?version=7.030&bandwidth=5600

From: seattle, wa, usa | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Freya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1558

posted      Profile for Freya   Email Freya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Gorillaz - was going to mention them. So many iconic tracks, and love for the beat.
From: London | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

I second Sigur Ros. []

Can't really comment on all the other, sorry. Will look into some of them, though!

There have been some slight disappointments for me this year (for example dredg's Catch without Arms, at least in comparison to the masterful El Cielo), but one band I heeded little notice before was Opeth, nevertheless, their new CD Ghost Reveries is a wonderful work of art and metal. They have discernible roots in what one could probably call Black or Death Metal, but they blend this style with a more (atmo)spheric approach like that one of Porcupine Tree. If you are only slightly interested in all things metal, and an artistic attitude to music, you should definitely lend your ear to this gem:

Opeth ~ Ghost Reveries

[ 10-30-2005, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: Belegurth ]

Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like these guys.
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

You like Google Video? Hmm... quite minimalistic as far as the exact nothing that comes out of my speakers is concerned []

[]

And there's another great album out there: Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl (bonus points to Arien for introducing me to this extraordinary band). On first sight and listen, it is rather hard to recognize the band on this album after B.R.M.C. and Take Them On, On Your Own - far more instrumental and drawn-back. Their Dylan-album, one might say. And also, pretty religious or at least spiritual, without sliding into the psychedelic realm. The greatest surprise is that the band, and their sound, don't lose their "cool" when addressing issues that are very introspective and not hidden behind a wall of distorted guitars.
B.R.M.C. was a solid first album, what followed was the masterpiece Take Them On, On Your Own, written and arranged in the same style we got to know from the first release, but better. Now, with Howl, we can take a look from a different angle on the Motorcycle Club - one that is more mellow, but intriguing and enlightening nonetheless.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club ~ Howl

[ 10-30-2005, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: Belegurth ]

Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What would you know []
Indeed Howl may be characterised as the most interesting of the three for they are redefining themselfs and their music. What I love about Black Rebell Motorcicle Club is that they're a bunch of really young people who compose meaningful and inovative music, avoiding being one of the thousand "rocking" bands of today. They can only be compared to themselfs.

From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pesky
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2560

posted      Profile for Pesky   Author's Homepage   Email Pesky   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sigur Ros is absolutely a band worth taking note of. The Untitled album (or, as some prefer to call it, the ( ) album) is my favorite.

I'm not sure if he has been mentioned, but Tom Waits is another of my favorite musical men. His voice is deep, and he mixes jazz with the most beautiful of waltzes.

Also, the Dresden Dolls (named after V. C. Andrews characters in the Flowers in the Attic series), the Innocence Mission, Julius Airwave, Rilo Kiley, Le Tigre, et cetera et cetera.

Forgive me, but i'm too lazy to describe any of the others. Just trust me when I say they're all amazing.

From: behind the smoke. | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Music that the world should know about (Page 9)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help