Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  13  14  15 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Music that the world should know about (Page 4)
Author Topic: Music that the world should know about
ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2465

posted      Profile for ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man! We rock out to him in our French class now! Small world, man. In fact, I had to perform a lip-sync with a group of kids in my class, with yours truly as MC Solaar. Heh.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"But I love him, whether or no."

H.A.R.C. President and founder...because (some of) you hate her as much as I do.

From: Rhode Island, yo! | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

posted      Profile for Adulithien   Email Adulithien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought this thread was for relatively non-mainstream music....
It is. Guess that's a tougher concept than it looks to be... []

And speaking of great French music! Nada Surf aren't French, but the members met at a French immersion high school in New York, and they have several songs in French. I recommend La Pour Ca or L'aventurier. []

From: Austin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
MC Solaar is the most famous French rapper, and 'Bouge de là'is pure fun... But I tend to prefer his more 'engaged' songs such as 'La concubine de l'hémoglobine' (see text below) or 'Le Nouveau Western'

I also like (for more personal reasons) his song 'Caroline'

But if you want other pieces of fun with plenty 'play on words' you should check out 'Victime de la Mode' or 'Obsolète'

*never thought he would get to talk about Mc Solaar on these boards*

quote:
From the AlbumProse Combat:

J'ai vu la concubine de l'hémoglobine
Balancer des rafales de balles normales et faire des victimes
Dans les rangs des descendants d'Adam
C'est accablant, troublant, ce ne sont pas des balles à blanc
On envoie des pigeons défendre la colombe
Qui avancent comme des pions défendre des tombes
Le Dormeur du Val ne dort pas,
Il est mort et son corps est rigide et froid

Chez le vietmin au Vietnam, sous forme de mines et de napalm
Parce que la science nous balance sa science
Science sans conscience égale science de l'inconscience
Elle se fout du progrès, mais souhaite la progression
De tous les processus qui mènent à l'élimination

Morne comme l'automne, un printemps en Chine
Ça c'est assez, passé, assez gâché, cassé
La porcelaine de peine, qu'est la colombe de paix
L'art de la guerre tue de jeunes bambins,
L'oeuvre de Kim Song Man reste sur sa fin
La guerre niqua Guernica
Et comme le pique-assiette, Picasso la repiqua

En campagne électorale dans mes magazines
Jovial, mais bancal, le politicien s'installe
Comme le dit I AM "c'est un hold-up mental"
Je les dose avec le prose combat
Pose avec le mic, le mic est devenu ma tenue combat
J'aime la politique quand elle a assez de vocation
Pour lutter contre les processus qui mènent à l'élimination

Dans une lutte économique, Kalach-M 16*
L'opinion s'aperçoit vite qu'il y a des malheureux
Quand le sol vire au rouge viennent les casques bleus
Le SOLAARSENAL est équipé de balles vocales
Face au sol-sol, sol-air, Solaar se fait radical
Constate le paradoxe du pompier pyromane, hum,
C'est comme si la mafia luttait contre la mafia

Se faire belle comme les voûtes de la Chapelle Sixtine
Pour l'alphabétisation des néo-fachos, à froid ou à chaud,
Avant de Bachot, ils souhaitent le Cachot, va revoir Dachau
Tel est le béaba de l'A B C du jeune Facho
C'est la horde aux ordres d'un nouvel ordre
Un peu partout dans les villes du globe, les crétins tissent leurs cordes

Elle aime la prolactine et les black smokingz
J'ai vu la concubine de l'hémoglobine...

Voici un extrait de ma pensée profonde:
Ma guerre des nerfs parce que l'ignorance c'est le nerf de la guerre,
On nous dit, nous sommes tous frères, Dieu est lumière,
Mais on constate que la lumière est éteinte,
Je souhaite que nous ne fassions plus les mêmes erreurs,
C'est dur à dire, mais... j'ai peur!

(*in english in the text hence sixteen)

Might be hard to translate all the double-meanings and play on words but I'll let you try anyway []

EDIT: If you're interested into French artists with a textual approach to their songs, try to lay your hands on the last album by Mickey 3D and listen to the song 'Respire'...

[ 12-27-2003, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Nash Rómerandir ]

From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2465

posted      Profile for ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
An MC Solaar fan! Génial! Truth be told, I like alot of songs of his better than Bouge da La, that one is just a bit of an inside joke with me and my friends. I like pretty much everything on "Qui Sème le Vent Récolte le Tempo", I haven't gotten to listen to his newer stuff, it's insanely difficult to find any french music in the US! I am glad someone else listens to Solaar, though, because he's awesome.

[ 12-27-2003, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"But I love him, whether or no."

H.A.R.C. President and founder...because (some of) you hate her as much as I do.

From: Rhode Island, yo! | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jango
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 891

posted      Profile for Jango   Email Jango   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Afflicted
From: US Virgin Islands | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Imrahil of Dol Amroth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2866

posted      Profile for Imrahil of Dol Amroth   Author's Homepage   Email Imrahil of Dol Amroth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don’t know precisely how well known he was fifteen years ago, but the people of my generation certainly do not know who he is. Al Stewart is an awesome singer/songwriter, and hardly anyone remembers him anymore! His songs are often about past wars or events, and the music itself is just wonderful! Does anyone here know him?

Another that I believe doesn’t get near enough attention is Loreena McKennitt. Her music is beautiful, insightful, and simply astounding, and yet, I believe, she is given far too small credit.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
El ha caido en Sombre.

Buffy: What are you doing here, Spike? Five words or less.
Spike: Out- for- a- walk- bitch.

From: Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

posted      Profile for Adulithien   Email Adulithien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
ZoSo, how do you feel about Stereolab and Mr. Oizo?
From: Austin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2465

I must admit I haven't heard any of their stuff.
Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

Two other French groups with heavy French influences in their stuff. Mr. Oizo is really avant garde, spare techno, and I don't even know what to say about Stereolab. If you ever get the chance, I recommend giving them both a listen. []
ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2465

I certainly shall! Thanks for the reccomendation
Erinti
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3470

posted      Profile for Erinti   Email Erinti   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You really should check the Canadian folk trio Urban Tapestry...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it. ~ Terry Pratchett

From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

posted      Profile for Lostfiniel   Email Lostfiniel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I know Merry listens to them. We got a chance to hear them at the gathering and I have to admit they are good. I would have bought a cd myself if I had more money to spend at the time.
From: Carlsbad, California | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pesky
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2560

posted      Profile for Pesky   Author's Homepage   Email Pesky   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Adulithien- Elliott Smith was so amazing...it's such a tragedy to wake up one morning and hear that someone you look up to and adore for their amazing musical talent has committed suicide.
[]

I hope I'm not the only person that (still) listens to:
- Morrissey
- The Pixies
- Marcy Playground
- The Velvet Underground
- The Smiths
- Modest Mouse
- Neutral Milk Hotel
- Placebo
- Cheater
- Beatifics
- Tom Waits
- Travis
- Wilco
- The Lucy Nation
- The Suicide Machines
- The Cure
...etc.

edit: Forgot one...or two...or three...or damn me...
- The Darkness
- Loreena Mckennit
- David Mead
- Jonah The Tramp

[ 01-02-2004, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: Pesky Guinevere ]

From: behind the smoke. | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bag-End's Legendary Julz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2467

posted      Profile for Bag-End's Legendary Julz   Author's Homepage   Email Bag-End's Legendary Julz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
O.A.R. (of a revolution....) is, currently, my favorite band. They have quite a following in some colleges and are slowly gaining more popularity through word-of-mouth. Their music has been compared to the Dave Matthews Band. You can listen to all but their newest album on their website.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"It's nearly impossible to get lost these days, so you have to find adventure within yourself." ~ Conrad Anker

From: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
O.A.R. is by no means similar to the Dave Matthews Band, the only similarity is that they both jam, and that is a horrible comparison as almost all bands jam at some point. People compared DMB with Hootie and the Blowfish when both were coming up.

O.A.R. has more of a reggae influence, as well as southern jam rock, I would compare them more with Moe or String Cheese Incident.

DMB has always been influenced more by jazz than any other genre. Three of the five members started out as jazz musicians.

Pesky Guinevere,

If you like Modest Mouse you should look into Brock's side project "Ugly Casanova." There is very much a Modest Mouse presence.

Neutral Milk Hotel has a great sound, very sonic and immersive. Lyrically they are one of the better bands out there.

My dear and lovely Adulithien,

I had no idea you were a Stereolab fan! If you're interested in French music, there is a Montreal based French-Canadian band called Fly Pan Am who have a crazy style (avant-garde post rock jazz fusion). It's not quite Stereolab but it is irresistable once you get into it. Their latest album is called "ceux qui inventent n'ont jamais vécu (?)" and is only available, as far as I know, through their label, constellation records (www.cstrecords.com) and in and around Montreal stores. Here's the write-up from the label's site:

quote:
fly pan am is a young montréal-based instrumental rock quartet whose ear for melody, honed in large part through obsessive exposure to the French pop tradition, is combined with a strong forward-looking experimentalism, driven by an intransigent faith in the unfulfilled possibilities of minimalism and musique concrète in rock composition.  fly pan am address and engage a tradition of art-punk that encompasses VU, talking heads & sonic youth, maintaining an exuberant innocence while consciously disavowing primitivist elements in favour of structural refinement.
Very "artsy" stuff.

I am definetly enjoying Nada Surf's new album, "Killian's Red" is probably my favorite on that disc, next to "Inside of Love." I've liked those guys ever since "Popular."

[ 01-02-2004, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]

From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

OMG!! Well, ever-pleasant Orofacion, it is good to know there are people with good taste out there. [] I'll have to check out Fly Pan Am-- and all Constellation Records-- sounds like it's right up my alley! Thanks for the detailed description. []

Let Go is one of my favorite albums around. I like the bonus track (that isn't on some copies... L'aventurier), but I think my favorite is a toss up between "Blonde on Blonde" and "Fruit Fly." It took me a long time to get past the first 60 seconds of that last one, but it was well worth it. [] [] []

Good to see you around again! PM me if it strikes you.

Oh, and Pesky, he is right-on with his recommendations. I daresay you'd dig Explosions in the Sky, too, if you're a Neutral Milk Hotel fan. []

[ 01-03-2004, 05:28 AM: Message edited by: Adulithien ]

Altarial
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1103

posted      Profile for Altarial   Email Altarial   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sugarcult

Matchbook Romance

From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Ninj
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 681
posted      Profile for Ninj   Email Ninj   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If you like music that is actually fun to listen to, you could do a lot worse than Mr Scruff (electro-jazz, ska, funk), DJ Yoda (scratch DJing, 80s pop) and Abdominal (hip-hop, and unlike many artists who are mistakenly bundled into that genre, is actually hip and hop).
From: The magical elven realmadi-blah-di-blah | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I just found my new house! Bele, as an LP fan I don't care where you stand, matter of personal preference as you stated, but I realy love you for making this thread. So here are some seriously wierd bands and I don't know if their music is available, possibly yes, even more possibly no.

The Accent: Red Sky at night

H.P. Lovecraft: Electrallentando

Aggregation: The long windy tunel

Vanilla Fudge: Season of the witch (this is a remake)

West Coast Pop Art Exparimental Band: Suppose they give a war and no one comes

Tyranosaurus Rex: Once upon the seas of Abyssinia

The Crazy World of Arthur Brown: Spontaneous Aplle Curration

Long live the inspired psychedelia!!!!!

From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And since others dared this, I will too. This is the song 'The Lady at the Gate' from The Aggregation.

All is quiet in the make-believe of buisines and success
And you've decided you got time to take a ride
But exactly where you're going can be anybody's guess
Because the only place you're going is your mind.

You approach with trepidation, some misgivings to a lady
Who is selling silver tickets by a door,for
apart from
Being faceless, she holds a burning lantern
And a mirror and a double-edged sword.
"Have no fear", says the lady at the gate
And with a smile disappears before your eyes.
Now you hold her silver ticket in the hollow of your hand
That will set you free to conquer and to die.

And you should hear the melody as well...

[ 03-03-2004, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Anorien ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Her Majesty the High Duchess of Torture and Pain.
Server of the Sun
~
Athene and Arien the Maia:
Overtaking posters since 2003

From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peony Brandybuck
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2062

posted      Profile for Peony Brandybuck   Author's Homepage   Email Peony Brandybuck   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Three words: Yeah Yeah Yeahs

One adjective: Amazing

(Sure... they play the video on MTV all the time, but still they are great. I'm sad they're on MTV now... Oh well.)

From: Bywater | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jóhnny, the Jester
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 579

posted      Profile for Jóhnny, the Jester   Email Jóhnny, the Jester   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
how could you class the cure as a forgoten band!
From: Q-Tip | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pesky
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2560

posted      Profile for Pesky   Author's Homepage   Email Pesky   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Jester boy: Well, every time I ask someone if they like The Cure, they have no idea who they are.

If any of you live in the Olympia, Washington area, I highly suggest you check out the band Matter of Fiction. They are not known at all except in some parts of Washington. My friend, Jacob, goes to school with them and when he visited me in L.A. he brought along their music. They've already recorded two albums but have yet to sign a record deal. I find them to be absolutely amazing for a high school band. I'd categorize them along with Modest Mouse, the Pixies, and Dismemberment Plan. If anyone's interested, aim me and I can try to send you some of their stuff.

So, along with Matter of Fiction, here are some bands I've only recently begun to enjoy:

-Karate
-The Lost Patrol
-The (International) Noise Conspiracy
-Dismemberment Plan
-VCR

oh, and are any of you music lovers planning on going to the Coachella Musical Arts Festival on May 1st and 2nd? I only wish I were going...I practically died when I realized the ticket prices.

[ 03-04-2004, 03:06 AM: Message edited by: Pesky Guinevere ]

From: behind the smoke. | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Pesky, whenever you get the chance to see The (International) Noise Conspiracy live, go for it! I have been on one of their concerts two years ago, and it was one of the best live experiences I ever had - the best thing about it, though, is that I'm seeing them again in two weeks []
From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elyrka Redsmith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3054

posted      Profile for Elyrka Redsmith   Author's Homepage   Email Elyrka Redsmith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone heard of Hang On The Box? They're a group of Chinese gals, who are... Pretty damn cool. Their style can't really be described, without listening to it. At first, you don't really know what to make of their cute-but-angry style, but it grows on you until you find yourself singing it in the shower. I don't know how many albums they have, I don't know much about them, mostly because they aren't very well know, but I know that if you were to download some of their songs, I would recommend "*******, I'm Not Your Baby", "Kill Your Belly" or "No Sexy", if you can find them anywhere.

[]

I actually have a very special bond to the music of Nirvana, but everyone already nows about them, so there's not really any need to give them a plug.

I'm also a huge fan of Rammstein, a German sex metal band, who are best known for their song "Feuer Frei", on the movie xXx. However, this is by no means their best song. If you're interested, I recommend "Asche zu Asche", "Weisses Fleisch", "Sonne" or "Mein Herz Brennt".

[ 03-04-2004, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Elyrka Redsmith ]

From: On the wind in the wires. | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Music that the world should know about (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  13  14  15 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help