Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  13  14  15 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Music that the world should know about (Page 3)
Author Topic: Music that the world should know about
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Orofacion,

I'll have to take a look if this store offers their Vinyl editions... they have an entire Vinyl-section!

Imbëar,

computer crashes are unnerving when one is about to post a long answer, that's for sure. I'll look into Guided By Voices, anyway.

As for DJ Shadow, this seems to be really interesting. I've heard of him, sure, but never really had the chance to make myself familiar with his work. The excerpts are powerful and calming - seems to be a great artist. I guess it's ambient, nearly meditative work? Like, say, Aphex Twin? Must be worth a try! []

Nash,

I have never heard of Loudmouth (but that's the purpose of the thread, ins't it? [] ), but if they come close Led Zep, then, what can one do wrong?

From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dolmed
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3831

posted      Profile for Dolmed   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Led Zep []
Have you heard of a group called Dread Zeppelin? A cross between Led Zep, reggae and Elvis Presley [] They did some interesting stuff including a wicked cover of 'Black Dog' []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Cyprinus in ripa per totum diem.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I'm about as useful as a mute switch on a smoke alarm.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I'm a Misogynistic Mushroom according to Athene.

From: At home chilling in front of the PC , watching some TV | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Dread Zeppelin? [] Only an Englishmen could find interest in that one! [] Really, it seems as if those guys would be fun to see live on stage somewhere (Dread Zeppelin that is, not the English people...)
From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dolmed
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3831

posted      Profile for Dolmed   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And why wouldn't the English be fun on stage? []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Cyprinus in ripa per totum diem.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I'm about as useful as a mute switch on a smoke alarm.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I'm a Misogynistic Mushroom according to Athene.

From: At home chilling in front of the PC , watching some TV | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imbëar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 729
posted      Profile for Imbëar   Author's Homepage   Email Imbëar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Dolmed,
if you recall, the English enjoyed several centuries of stage practice, and all they could come up with were thinly veiled references to the goode knyght's spur!

Imbëar

From: Auburn, CA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altarial
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1103

posted      Profile for Altarial   Email Altarial   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*wants to know Johnny the Jester's answer*
From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Shameless self-promotion can't be bad!

http://www.garageband.com/artist/slickaphonics

The song is called Holly's Gone

From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imbëar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 729
posted      Profile for Imbëar   Author's Homepage   Email Imbëar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
While doing my Christmas shopping last week, I had to buy myself a gift.

The album: Damnation and a Day: from Genesis to Nemesis, by the epic metal band, Cradle of Filth.

For those with tamer appetites, I do not recommend this band, this band's theme, or this style of music.

This is one of their heaviest albums since The Principle of Evil Made Flesh, and this album is certainly the best studio production to date. Not only did Sony and Epic records financially back this album, but Cradle of Filth also employed the Buddapest Symphony for instrumentals and increasingly haunted vocals.

The album begins with a section called Fantasia Down:
the first track, a musical piece called A Bruise Upon the Silent Moon, leads directly into A Promise of Fever...

This is not nu-metal. Buyer beware.

Imbëar

From: Auburn, CA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peony Brandybuck
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2062

posted      Profile for Peony Brandybuck   Author's Homepage   Email Peony Brandybuck   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I didn't call attention to this artist in this thread, but you all go, for your reading enjoyment:

DAVID GRAY - This man is seriously one of the BEST and most seriously underrated artists out there right now. He got a little big in the States (and prally a lot of other places) with his song "Babylon", but has since slid into a little bit of obscurity. I heard his song "Be Mine" on a little indie radio station, and I fell head over heels. His newest album "A New Day at Midnight" is simply amazing. It's one of the few CDs that I can always ALWAYS listen to straight through. I think the thing I like most about him is his lyrics. They are all so true, and most people can relate to them. I seriously recommend checking out the songs "Caroline", "Kangaroo", those I mentioned above ("Be Mine" and "Babylon"), and my absolute favorite "EASY WAY TO CRY" When I am alone in my room and that song comes on, I cannot help but tear up, because the lyrics are so poignant and true. David Gray is simply amazing. Not crazy hard rock or anything, but nice, mellow, relatable music. He's just... awesome (can you tell I love this guy?)

From: Bywater | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

In the name of all interested in music, thanks for all your input! []

I'm not that much into the Black Metal scene, Imbëar, but I enjoy a bit of Blind Guardian (though I'm sure that's nothing what comes close Black Metal, but what should I call it?), especially the Middel Earth related albums. I will try to get some mp3s of your album.

A week ago, I once again went to my favourite record store and purchased "The World Is Not A Cold Dead Place" by Explosions In The Sky - disregard the all-too emo-like name, it is great instrumental music. However, the band's a small one, merely consisting of 2 guitars, 1 bass and a drummer, of course - the structures are clear and quite open, but nevertheless great atmospheric work. Well worth a try.

ZENITH
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 400

posted      Profile for ZENITH   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
he scissor sisters - Laura []
From: The Mens Room. ENGLAND | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imbëar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 729
Hey Belegurth!
"Time Stands Still At the Iron Hill" is one of my favorites!
I categorize Blind Guardian as concept-Metal.
Germans seem to love Metal and Middle Earth.
A rash of bands have made the scene, with names like Morgoth, Ephel Duath, Amon Amarth, Gorgoroth, et cetera...

If you are going to download any mp3's by Cradle of Filth, let me suggest a few of their prominent songs:
"Cthulhu Dawn," "Her Ghost in the Fog," and "Summer Dying Fast" off of their Midian album.
Other memorable tracks are:
"From the Cradle to Enslave," "Dusk and Her Embrace," "Queen of Winter Throned," and "A Crescendo of Passion Bleeding."
"A Dream of Wolves in the Snow" is a nice slow piece, with an introductory quote from Bram Stoker's Dracula....
"Ah, listen to them, the children of the night; what [sweet] music they make."

Imbëar

Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

Ah, the whole "Nightfall In Middle Earth" is a beautiful album - it's indeed one of the few German bands that seem to be accepted all over the world.

I have already visited Cradle Of Filth's internet site and listened to some clips - of course, I cannot tell anything on this basis, but I'll definitely get the songs you recommended. As in every musical genre, there seem to be many bands that should just have recorded an empty CD [] . COF seem to be quite the opposite.

Thank you, again.

Kupo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3738

posted      Profile for Kupo   Author's Homepage   Email Kupo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There's this band called Interstellar. Kjartan's got most of their songs, but I got lots too. You should check them out.
From: If only, if only... | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Which is hard, since only about ten people have their songs. We'll see about making it more accessible.
From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kupo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3738

posted      Profile for Kupo   Author's Homepage   Email Kupo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Does this mean I'm one of the only people in America with knowledge of this fantastic..thing? I feel so special.
From: If only, if only... | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sombo Gui
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4035
posted      Profile for Sombo Gui   Email Sombo Gui   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Luca Turilli, really really like this music... it's like rock but written by people who understand music! ^_^ And most people have forgotten about... CAKE, gotta love them
From: White bread | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Whyte Chyld Wyelder
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3898

posted      Profile for Whyte Chyld Wyelder   Author's Homepage   Email Whyte Chyld Wyelder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have a few bands that I think EVERYONE should listen to. The first is the almighty =W= otherwise known as Weezer. You don't know what music is until you've heard Buddy Holly off the Blue Album. It has the single greatest guitar riff in the history of music. Sublime rocks, but I suggest you try some of their lesser known albums. Gotta love the unique blend of raggae, hip hop and rock. Smooth listening mon. Although they're a Christian band, Audio Adrenaline is top notch. Hit Parade, Some Kind of Zombie and Underdog are by far their best albums. Also, Rage Against the Machine for the hardcore political activist. Zack Dela Rocha will have you sending hate mail to the president before you get off the first track. []

Also Tantric is a GREAT band if you like a good mix of acoustic and electric with enough soul to pull it off without a hitch. And if you're into Shock Rap, check out Twiztid. I think their name says it all. For straight rock I can't forget to mention the wonderous rthymes of such bands as Sponge, Garbage, Everclear, Linkin Park, Papa Roach and The Donnas. Fastball, Sound Garden, Marcy's Playground, Offspring, Pink Floyd, Barenakedladies, Marilyn Manson, Smashmouth, Kid Rock, Ice Cube, Emeniem, Savage Garden and the list goes on and on and on.

And now for my metal picks: Guano Apes, System of a Down, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Sugar Ray(pink lemonade and brownies), Godsmack, Powerman 5000 and of course Orgy.

Yeah so I have alot of favorite bands. You'll NEVER see me not listening to music. Might as well tell me to stop breathing.

From: Lost in the depths of my mind | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
All bands the world already knows about...
From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

posted      Profile for Adulithien   Email Adulithien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Imbear-- there's one called Turambar, too. []

And whoever said Converge, I second that.

Also, I think it was Peony who mentioned Hot Hot Heat, who ROCK. If you're into them at all I'd bet you'd like !!! (You may also see them called Chik, Chik, Chik if you're into indie or Pow, Pow, Pow for the punk rockers). They're one of my favorite bands ever.

Mr. Lif, Kid Koala, MC Paul Barman and Sunspot Jonze are all amazing, too, for anybody who digs hip hop. []

From: Austin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altarial
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1103

posted      Profile for Altarial   Email Altarial   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
System of a Down is awesome -> If you haven't heard of them listen to Chop Suey!

Nirvana -> Although I admit I don't like all of their stuff, Smells Like Teen Spirit is an awesome song, as well as Heart Shaped Box.

Evanescence -> Sorry for those of you who don't like them, but you have to admit that her voice is INCREDIBLE. I'd recommend My Immortal. Very talented (former) pianist.

Cadet - No, not the instrumental band, the punk/pop band. I haven't heard a lot of their stuff, but Nobody is an awesome song.

Fefe Dobson -> Just whatever you do, don't download Bye Bye Boyfriend. [] Try Take Me Away.

FM Static -> Definitely Maybe, or Crazy Mary.

Oh, and check out the band Bloody Mary, when they finally get a demo out. []

[ 12-27-2003, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: Altarial ]

From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peony Brandybuck
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2062

posted      Profile for Peony Brandybuck   Author's Homepage   Email Peony Brandybuck   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this thread was for relatively non-mainstream music....
From: Bywater | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Glorfindel of Los 'lóriol
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2884

posted      Profile for Glorfindel of Los 'lóriol   Email Glorfindel of Los 'lóriol   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Jack Johnson

[ 05-31-2004, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: Glorfindel Golden-Haired ]

From: NY | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2465

posted      Profile for ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*reads previous posts*...SO glad someone mentioned Led Zeppelin. Thankee.

But also...

MC Solaar - Ok, get ready for some obscure french Hip Hop! Seriously, though, this guy is awesome. He's got the funk. My favorite song of his? Bouge de la. Definately Bouge de la.

Ani DiFranco - C'mon folks! Angry chick music! But seriously, though, this girl is awesome with a guitar, and her lyrics kick. Yyyep.

Andrée 3000 - Y'all know the rap super-group OutKast, but Andrée now has his own CD, The Love Below. It's awesome. He plays all the instruments on it, and wrote all the songs, with the exception of a few appearances by guest artists. It's awesome. Check it out.

Peony, dear, I tried to name relatively obscure artists, but I had to tell the world about Andrée...

*realizes she is sounding like a music commercial, will stop now*

...Thank you for your time.

[ 12-27-2003, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"But I love him, whether or no."

H.A.R.C. President and founder...because (some of) you hate her as much as I do.

From: Rhode Island, yo! | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peony Brandybuck
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2062

LOL it's alright. At least you were recommending good music. And the funny thing is, I have heard of MC Solaar. We rocked out to him back in ninth grade French.

EDIT: Also, another thing I've been meaning to post. I'm sure a good amount of people hear have heard of the game Dance Dance Revolution, but have you ever tried to just listen to the music? I love the music from it!! Especially the song "Cafe" That's a winner.

[ 12-27-2003, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: Peony Brandybuck ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Palabra A Tu Madre
-Peony Brandybuck

Listen to my friend Billy Zane and read my blog

Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Music that the world should know about (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  13  14  15 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help