Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Music that the world should know about (Page 2)
Author Topic: Music that the world should know about
Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

posted      Profile for Lassë   Email Lassë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Adu, 'Hallelujah' was written by Leonard Cohen. Jeff Buckley's cover version is on 'Grace' (which in my opinion is a lot better than 'Scetches for my sweetheart the drunk') -

The world should know about american trance DJ and producer BT and Norwegian house acts Röyksopp and Kings of Convenience []

From: Berlin | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

posted      Profile for Adulithien   Email Adulithien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Lassë!

And I am all for Guided By Voices, Imbëar, as well as Pretty Girls Make Graves.

[] to Mystic Vala for mentioning Shai'Hulud. Have you heard Tantrum of the Muse? I believe they're in your neck of the woods...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
No fighting in this thread-- take it outside!
All your insights are appreciated here

From: Austin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crate
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3930
posted      Profile for Crate   Email Crate   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Darkness, I know that they are starting to get famous now but I heard them before they were discovered and I was blown away! I don't know if anyone else has heard of them but if you are British and listen to Radio 1 or 2 (maybe others I don't know) then you should have heard of them.

Crate

From: Newcastle, England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The darkness! Man, that's one f**ked up band! They are messing with everybody, it's a parody of 70's hard rock!

Oro, I agree, jazz has been forgotten... It's really sad, because it has got to be the most inventive branch of music, at least when you look at how relatively young it is. Classical music took centuries, jazz took one, or even less than that.

[ 10-27-2003, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Kjartan Fløgelfrikk ]

From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystic Vala
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2794

posted      Profile for Mystic Vala   Author's Homepage   Email Mystic Vala   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Have you heard Tantrum of the Muse? I believe they're in your neck of the woods...
hmm.. I don't believe I've heard them yet... but i'll defintely give them a shot.
pretty girls make graves are a good screamo band, anyone here into alexisonfire? I think their one of the better screamo acts out there.

From: Pennsylvania... where horror flys by night, and blasphemy. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

posted      Profile for Adulithien   Email Adulithien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like a ton of that stuff.... Rites of Spring, High on Fire, Torches to Rome (even Nation of Ulysses-- learn your musical history), ATDI (to a point)....

You know Tristeza used to be a bunch of screamo kids?

From: Austin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guinevere
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1141

posted      Profile for Guinevere   Author's Homepage   Email Guinevere   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well I think part of the reason a lot of people dont know the same bands is that a lot of them are considered to be not very good or are underground bands. I know like a million of them that are great, they are just still in their "garage, small clubs" stage. Also, I get mad when they do get popular and become trendy, but hey I know its all for the best. But sense I like you guys so much Ill put a few out there. []

And I swear, they are good!
- As I lay dying (I think this one has been mentioned)
- Tiger Army
- Converge
- Fairweather
- Cursive
- Alkaline Trio
- Backseat Love Affair
- The Bled
- My Hotel Year

[ 10-27-2003, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Guinevere ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Beauty Gives Me Voice

From: California, where else? | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystic Vala
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2794

posted      Profile for Mystic Vala   Author's Homepage   Email Mystic Vala   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
oh, yes the bled are excellent! I also just listened to a band called 'dead poetic', their a type of screamo-ish band. If you get a chance to Check them out on MP3.com.
From: Pennsylvania... where horror flys by night, and blasphemy. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tevesh Szat
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1812

posted      Profile for Tevesh Szat   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Another crazy update of groups no one has heard of, but should!

This is truly an odd encounter, for I saw the ending of a song on MuchMusic, and *gasp*, it sounded pretty good. I searched and search, but alas, I couldn't find that specific song. So, I downloaded a few songs and ended up downloading everything...

Some songs simply weren't as good, but I believe they're still pretty darned gosh good! Their a group with a singer, a guitartist, a drummer and two pipers! Yes, that is correct! Pipers, as in the IRISH PIPES!

Real good... They're known as Mudmen. I'd say their best songs would have to be:
'Underdog', 'Winners', 'Saturday' and 'In My Head'.

Well... They seem to be pretty mainstream, or at least "Mainstream Goth", which is pretty oxymoron. Well, it isn't considering all teenagers go through that phase and go "I ain't gonna conform!" and either turn to Punk or Goth. Heh, those idiots...

Anyway, the group is called VNV Nation, and I'm sure you've heard at least a twinkle about 'em. They have a main singer who has this haunting calm voice. It kind of sticks to me...

"Beloved", "Cold", "Dark Angel" and "Kingdom" are some favourites.

And some are asking 'What is Goth?' Well, it has the techyness of dance, but actually has meaning to it. I guess that's the only difference really.... I guess... *shrug* They do similar topics to 'Medieval' bands such as Blind Guardian, Nightwish, etc. etc.

Finally, The Tea Party are infamous, but no one has heard of them simply because they have a rare talent known as skill. If you've heard something by them, it's either going to be 'Walking Wounded' or 'Angels'. Some of their more obscure good works would have to be 'Babylon', 'Fire in the Head', 'Sister Awake' and 'Walk With Me'.

From: Infantry's Village Idiot | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nehraime
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2470

posted      Profile for Nehraime   Author's Homepage   Email Nehraime   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tiger Army
Not entirely unheard of, but still amazing none the less. [] Download Incoporeal if you know whats good for you, or better yet, buy their second album II: Power of Moonlite They are basically psychobilly, and they have amazing, amaaaaazing bass lines. Geoff kresge (on bass) plays a stand-up bass. Its ridiculously entertaining to watch. [] []

More later.

[ 10-28-2003, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: Nehraime ]

From: NYC | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I really wouldn't call Big Bad Voodoo Daddy jazz, but they are fairly good. I'm thinking more John Coltrane , Miles Davis , and Louis Armstrong , granted those are the most well known, but that's because there wouldn't be jazz without them.

If we're talking Death Metal genre, check out Dying Fetus for excellent low-end screaming and killer guitar work.

Belegurth,

If you like Godspeed check out the other acts on their label (Constellation Records - cstrecords.com) like Do Make Say Think or One Speed Bike . They aren't as epic as Godspeed , but still incredible musicians. I'd recomend everyone listening to Fly Pan Am as they take composition and instrumentation to amazing levels, using silence as a musical tool, which ironically is one of the most powerful.

I work at a record store, so this is a great thread to use the knowledge I've gained over the years.

[ 10-28-2003, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]

From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Kaladir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2695

posted      Profile for Kaladir   Email Kaladir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
THE BETA BAND

These guys are Scottish and are really great to listen too...chill stuff, happy stuff, sad stuff something for every mood...

TOSS THE FEATHERS
A band from Manchester of Irish decent, loads of fantastic Irish tunes and songs, great vocals and awesome players....

From: Glasgow | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

posted      Profile for Aikanáro   Email Aikanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just an idea here - it would be nice if when recommending a band, you could recommend a few songs by them?

I'm downloading stuff by some of the bands mentioned, and it's difficult to know which songs are their best []

From: Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dolmed
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3831

posted      Profile for Dolmed   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have one word and one number,

[] ALABAMA 3 []

Awesome! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Cyprinus in ripa per totum diem.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I'm about as useful as a mute switch on a smoke alarm.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I'm a Misogynistic Mushroom according to Athene.

From: At home chilling in front of the PC , watching some TV | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Orofacion,

working at a record store must be an incredible job - I bet you've met a lot of interesting people during your time there. What kind of store is it? Offering all kinds of music including Britney Spears and other pop acts, or the typical (yet often rarely found) independent store? I've finally gained access to Green Hell in the town I live, which is a small mailorder store with every artist from orchestral music over hardcore and emo to really fantastic bands that can't be put into any category. I feel quite gifted, and the people working there are very involved in the local music scene, which is always a [] .

And yes, I have listened to GY!BE while reading Tolkien - a fantastic combination indeed! Quite recently, I have purchased a CD by A Silver Mt. Zion, which are quite good as well IMO. I'll try to get my hands on one of the bands you mentioned (have you heard of Rachel's? Not quite the same, but their "The Sea and the Bells", greatly influenced by Pablo Neruda's work).

When GY!BE come to Germany one day, I'm surely won't miss them.

From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altarial
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1103

posted      Profile for Altarial   Email Altarial   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Stutterfly

They ROCK!!!

Stutterfly

[ 11-01-2003, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Altarial ]

From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peony Brandybuck
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2062

posted      Profile for Peony Brandybuck   Author's Homepage   Email Peony Brandybuck   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a list. It could be longer... but I'll spare you all. They're rock, or alternative... that's what I mostly listen to.

- Rochelle, Rochelle - a VERY good local band. They broke up, but I'm sure you can find some of their stuff on Kazaa. Try "Gone for Good" and "The Red Sea"
- Convoy - A little honky-ish, but they are still awesome. "Weekends", "Wet Cement" and "Alice" are my favorites.
- Thrice - I believe someone already mentioned these guys, but that doesn't mean I can't mention them again. A little screamo-ish but I love them a lot. Check out "The Artist in the Ambulance", "All That's Left" and "The Melting Point of Wax"
- Ben Kweller - very low key guy, but he rocks. I'd put him in the same class as Jason Mraz. "Commerce, TX", "Walk on Me" and 'Wasted and Ready" are my faves.
- Hot Hot Heat - I guess they are getting a little mainstream now, but they are still great. You've probably heard their song "Bandages" on the radio, but listen to "Get In or Get Out" and "Save Us S.O.S." The lead singer's voice takes a little getting used to.
- The Promise Ring - One of my favorite bands. Their songs get in your head and are so hard to get out. My favorite songs are "Why Did We Ever Meet?", "Pink Chimneys", "B is for Bethelem" and "Happiness is All the Rage"

That's enough for now. If I think of others that you'll can't live without, I'll post them.

From: Bywater | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jóhnny, the Jester
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 579

posted      Profile for Jóhnny, the Jester   Email Jóhnny, the Jester   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
ALLY I WAS JUST GONNA POST STUTTERFLY!

they do rock! so does Deville, and Ludo, some local groups doing a conert next week, and im out of town.

if any likes teh song enter sandman, and likes jazz download "enter sandman, by The New Morty Show

From: Q-Tip | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guinevere
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1141

posted      Profile for Guinevere   Author's Homepage   Email Guinevere   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lol its so funny that you guys all call them screamo-ish. But for the record, I like "screamo-ish" bands.

I did like Hot Hot Heat before but their new song sucks(in my opinion). And yes, I have heard "bandages". Its an interesting song. Too bad they are getting really trendy.

Convoy and Thrice are cool- two of my favorite bands. They have "stayed true" as long as Ive listend to them.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Beauty Gives Me Voice

From: California, where else? | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peony Brandybuck
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2062

posted      Profile for Peony Brandybuck   Author's Homepage   Email Peony Brandybuck   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I love Convoy!!! I see them live whenever they come. They are all so nice!! I love Shawn...*sigh*
From: Bywater | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Belegurth,

I work at a pretty commercial record store, a nation wide chain to be precise, so it's not quite as romantic as the small independent stores are. However, that said, we do get a suprising amount of independent or rare/hard to find CDs, the best selection in town actually. We've got a little of everything, and if we don't have it in the store, we can order just about anything in print today, with exception to vinyl.

A Silver Mt. Zion is exceptional indeed. Efrim, the main man behind GS!YB, is also a part of Zion so alot of the sound is reflected in that group. If you do manage to get to one of their shows (Godspeed), bring enough money to pick up some of their vinyl stuff. They usually have their other labelmates stuff on sale as well, in vinyl. I stress the vinyl because of the fact that they hand cut the records so you get this amazing loop at the end of the record. Top notch stuff.

From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imbëar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 729
posted      Profile for Imbëar   Author's Homepage   Email Imbëar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Belegurth, sorry about not elaborating on Guided by Voices.
I had a long post typed up and my computer crashed.
Since then, I've been familiarizing myself with this new computer.

Anyhow, a friend of mine just gave me a copy of DJ Shadow's, The Private Press - his newest album.
This is one of the best electronic music albums to date.
DJ Shadow uses clips from Joseph Campbell, as well.
We're not looking for the meaning of life,
we're looking for an experience of life
The long track, Blood on the Motorway, is incredible.
Here are some of the introductory lyrics: I found them calming and affirmative.

"And now, eternity.

Be still now
I am with you,
I am deep within you;
you are at peace.
You cannot be harmed;
you will not suffer.
Breathe deeply,
breathe in the healing love of the universe,
and breathe out the sickness which has taken you.
I am with you
."

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Imbëar

From: Auburn, CA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Want good metal? And not that crappy nu-metal thing?

Then try to lay a hand on Loudmouth's self-titled (and only) album, you won't regret it... Heavy sound, but creative riffs 'a la' Black Sabbath or sometimes Lad Zeppelin. The best band I ever heard, power and melody!

If you really like heavy, get yourself any album by Corrosion of Conformity (I'd particularly recommand Wiseblood or America's Volume Dealer but that's only my personal taste) you won't regret it!

[ 11-05-2003, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Nash Rómerandir ]

From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altarial
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1103

posted      Profile for Altarial   Email Altarial   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Johnny, the Jester - You listen to Stutterfly!??! Where are you from!??

I KNOW them personally! I'm gonna be in Bradyn's (lead guitarist - or at least he was, maybe that's Jason now) wedding in the spring!!

EDIT: Are you going to their concert at NLC on the 14th?

Also there's The Calm, they're a pretty new band but REALLY good considering that they write ALL their own stuff and their ages are 12, 14, 15 and 16. ...Woa.

They used to be called Strauss.

The Calm

Annnnnnnd...

Two girls I go to school and church with - here's their site. They're sort of pop-rock - not my style but getting good, especially considering their ages. 12 and 14. [] They're both incredible violinists besides guitar, piano and vocals.

The Macgregor Girls

[ 11-05-2003, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Altarial ]

From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altarial
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1103

*bump*
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Music that the world should know about (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help