Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Music that the world should know about (Page 14)
Author Topic: Music that the world should know about
Imbëar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 729
posted      Profile for Imbëar   Author's Homepage   Email Imbëar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hail and well met, Friends of the White City!

Well, I've been ejoying a lot of music lately.

I see that Lord Glorfindel mentioned Burzum, a black metal band with pagan/folk roots,
so I'll mention the various Folk Metal bands in my collection right now. One of my favorites:

Heidevolk, a Dutch band - powerful voices, excellent drumming, and classic themes (beer drinking being one! -
listen to "Het bier zal weer vloeien"). Dutch is nearly cognate with English, which adds to the listening experience.

Heidevolk - "De Strijdlust is Geboren"

Now let us leave Germanic lands and head to Norway, and to the band Storm.
This band is no longer together, sadly, yet they left us a great inheritance in the album "Nordavind." Some of you will recognize the voice of Satyr (Sigurd Wongraven) from Satyricon, and the drums of Fenriz. The angelic female vocals are Kari Rueslåtten - she later left the project over objections to certain anti-Christian lyrics (and accusations of "fascism," which is ever a thorn in the paw of pagan metal).

First, a song well-known to those from Norway. This one is a great sing-along! Mellom bakkar og berg ut med havet...!"
Storm - "Mellom Bakkar Og Berg"

And here is a nice acoustic calling, Nagell's stave, I believe:
Storm - "Nagellstev"

Check back for a few more recommendations!

Imbëar

From: Auburn, CA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Great stuff.
From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Indil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4434

posted      Profile for Indil   Author's Homepage   Email Indil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Gelders volkslied [] I'm from Nijmegen, Gelderland! []

I just went to see Regina Spektor in Paradiso Amsterdam.
I've been a huge fan of hers ever since my dad and I bought a CD of hers when we were on a holiday in Canada - she's not well known at all here. Because of that I didn't see any anouncements of her gig 'till 3 days ago, when the concert was sold out. I had to buy tickets off of the black market for twice the price [] But it was definately worth it. She played almost all my favs including Samson and Fidelity. []
I think she's live even better than on the CD.

From: The Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Freya, I saw a concert of TV on the Radio in Austin with Adu [] It was awesome ! Their first part was a great band called Little Dragon, btw []

Apart from that, I keep listening to Collected, by Massive Attack, as usual. I think this will never get old []
I'm also in a big Chopin thing : Ballade #3 that I'm trying to play []

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Regina Spektor is tops!

I've been listening to the new album by Florence And The Machine and really love it! Fantastic voice!

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Freya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1558

posted      Profile for Freya   Email Freya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great album Snowdog, I saw her in Hyde Park last week - wasn't as good though, her act didn't really carry that well to an outside setting in front of 80k people
From: London | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I wondered about that. Seems better suited to an intimate club of a few hundred or a theatre of a few thousand.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Archive - Bullets
From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I only found this Indie band last month... and tonight learned their debut album, Save A Place For Us, came out last year. Gotta go on a hunt for it now. []

The Dawn Collective (official site) | Listen here or at Last.fm

[ 09-14-2009, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: Braeden Fireheart ]

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Prince Imrahil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5425
posted      Profile for Prince Imrahil   Email Prince Imrahil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Any number of songs by Eagles of Death Metal.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
And last and proudest, Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, kinsman of the lord, with gilded banners bearing his token of the Ship and the Silver Swan, and a company of knights in full harness riding grey horses...tall as lords, grey-eyed, dark-haired, singing as they came.

-Minas Tirith

From: Dor-En-Ernil, Belfalas (by way of VA) | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

posted      Profile for Adulithien   Email Adulithien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
For everyone mentioning TV on the Radio:

Yes, Cookie Mountain and Dear Science are great, but please do yourself a solid and get your hands on the Young Liars EP. It's some of their earliest stuff, which might be particularly good for people who had trouble getting into Cookie Mountain.

It is highly recommended for a doo-wop cover of a Pixies song and a track called "Satellite." Here's the album version.

[ 10-21-2009, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Adulithien ]

From: Austin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Freya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1558

posted      Profile for Freya   Email Freya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip Addie, I'll downlo...I mean buy that EP

My favourites at the moment

La Roux - gorgeous, stripped down 80's synth pop.

Passion Pit - kind of MGMT meets The Similou. Awesome electronic band from Massachusetts. Both Chunk of Change EP and Manners LP are completely fab. Swimming in the Flood my fav track.

From: London | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalkin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1029

posted      Profile for Kalkin   Email Kalkin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Freya Downloaded those 2 albums from Passion Pit. Good stuff, thanks for the recommend. I'm always looking for good electronic stuff. Do you ever listen to Morcheeba or Goldfrapp? Morcheeba's, "The Sea" is one of my all-time favorite trippy tunes.
From: Chicago | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Freya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1558

Me too Kalkin, I defy anyone to listen to The Sea by Morcheeba and not be totally and completely chilled. If you like those acts, I guess you like Air (Moon Safari), Portishead (Dummy) Massive Attack (any) and Phoebix? (any?)

I love electronic stuff too []

E: Lemon Jelly and Nightmars On Wax very trip hoppy too,

E3 and Royksopp...I could be here all day

[ 10-23-2009, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Freya ]

Angathas
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1319
posted      Profile for Angathas   Author's Homepage   Email Angathas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Do any of you like progressive rock? I think as Tolkien fans some of you might, considering there's a site called the Tolkien Music List.

A new album from the band Transatlantic is coming out very soon. It has members from The Flower Kings, Dream Theater, Marillion, and Spock's Beard. The new CD is called "Whirlwind". Check it out.

From: Staten Island, New York 10306 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Progressive rock/metal is awesome. []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

quote:
Air (Moon Safari), Portishead (Dummy) Massive Attack (any)
[] [] [] [] []
Kalkin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1029

posted      Profile for Kalkin   Email Kalkin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Freya
I have some Portishead and Royksopp but no the others (at least, I don't think so but I have a lot of complilation discs). Thanks for the other suggestions, I will check them out. I've been listening to Passion Pit for a couple of days now and I dig it the most! []

From: Chicago | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh, I also am a big fan of Massive Attack, Portishead and Air.
[]
Totally with you on La Roux too. I'm generally not a big fan of pop but there's something very straightforward about it that I love. One-hit addiction, so it is. []

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Prince Imrahil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5425
posted      Profile for Prince Imrahil   Email Prince Imrahil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Cold War Kids. They are an interesting group to say the least.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
And last and proudest, Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, kinsman of the lord, with gilded banners bearing his token of the Ship and the Silver Swan, and a company of knights in full harness riding grey horses...tall as lords, grey-eyed, dark-haired, singing as they came.

-Minas Tirith

From: Dor-En-Ernil, Belfalas (by way of VA) | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

posted      Profile for Adulithien   Email Adulithien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Have you guys heard anything from Portishead's new album? Not all of it is business as usual, but I loooove it!

ALSO! I mostly came back in here to talk up the album "Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier" by Corb Lund. Give it a track or two (it's a concept album)... and try to listen to "Student Visas" first (amazing). Not for everyone, but the guy deserves more recognition than he gets, that's for sure.

From: Austin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

I guess this qualifies as a double post... for shame! []

Has anyone heard of Neon Indian? Not sure what to think yet, but definitely one of the more interesting things I've heard lately.

Also just discovered Thao and The Get Down Stay Down, though they might be old news by now? I can never tell. Very much a girl-with-a-guitar thing, which I usually hate... but... wow. I like. []

Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Did you mean the P3 album from Portishead ? It is supposed to be quite different from their older stuff...

Sorry for responding to your older post, but I don't know any of the other stuff you mention []

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Laura Marling!
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Abby Skye!
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Music that the world should know about (Page 14)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help