Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Music that the world should know about (Page 13)
Author Topic: Music that the world should know about
Grimwulf Stormspear
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5157
posted      Profile for Grimwulf Stormspear   Email Grimwulf Stormspear   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
We’re not in Kansas anymore... [] []
From: The central lake-lands of the Great Peninsula. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aina Moja
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1962

posted      Profile for Aina Moja   Author's Homepage   Email Aina Moja   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Er, yay for indie rock...?!

The Virgins (LOVE them! So funky [] )
French Kicks
Fujiya & Miyagi
The Helio Sequence
MGMT
The Sounds []

And of course Vampire Weekend, which someone already mentioned. On Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist soundtrack there is a new song "Ottoman" by them which I recommend.

I know, I know, I have amazing taste in music. [] []

[ 10-18-2008, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: Aina Moja ]

From: The Back of A Camel | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Freya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1558

posted      Profile for Freya   Email Freya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
TV On The Radio
From: London | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Freya - my boyfriend told me about TV on the Radio.... we really like the one song "Wolf Like Me" but the others are hard to get into. I love the lead singer though. []
From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Cage the Elephant [] []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aina Moja
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1962

posted      Profile for Aina Moja   Author's Homepage   Email Aina Moja   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A couple bands that are close to home:

[] My Dear Disco []

[] The Word Play []

Edit: How could I forget [] Tally Hall [] ?

Didn't you know? ALL the cool music comes from Michigan!

Er...Except Kid Rock...and that Uncle Kracker guy... []

[ 11-19-2008, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: Aina Moja ]

From: The Back of A Camel | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Freya, that's a fantastic suggestion! I just ordered "Return to the Cookie Mountain", as I liked what I've heard. []
From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Freya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1558

posted      Profile for Freya   Email Freya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Bele! You should try Dear Science too, their latest album []
From: London | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Glorfindel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3110

posted      Profile for Lord Glorfindel   Author's Homepage   Email Lord Glorfindel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Joe Black
Giovanni Allevi
Ludovico Einaudi
Myster E feat. Jason Wade
William Control
VNV Nation
Covenant
Blut Aus Nord
Seabound
Burzum

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Official God Father Of Lentil
"LG for PM!!!" - CloudStrife
"LG = Lifes Good = Lifes Glorfindel" - Cloudstife (él es mi amigo!)
"LG, you're evil. Just plain evil" - Aermir
"I REALLY must get around to terminating your account LG!" -Wetwang
"You mad blighter" - Gloin the Dark

From: I grew up in Europe, where History is from. | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Freya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1558

Sufjan Stevens

Beautiful, inspiring American folk music.

The myspace is very poor; just take a risk and buy Seven Swans []

Aina Moja
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1962

[] Sufjan is another local boy!! [] How could I have forgotten about him...?

Freya, he has some lovely Christmas music that I am listening to. Seeing as it is the season, and all... []

Roll of Honor Freya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1558

Aina Moja, I heard about the Christmas album. Is it any good? []

Another recommend: Bat For Lashes. Not for everyone; sort of Fiest meets Bjork. I love it

Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone ever hear of Cloud Cult? My brother just got me into them last night [] I'm listening to their "Feel Good Ghosts" album. My favorite song so far is "When Water Comes to Life" []

I think they are compared to Modest Mouse, as far as vocal stylings? It's an indy sound with strings, which is what attracts me. Strings = []

[ 04-16-2009, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As a rule I don't like rap as it isn't really music to me with its ripoff sampling and babble. But there always seems to be an exception to a rule if you look for it. I do like Seth Sentry's Waitress Song in all its simplicity and storytelling. That & back in '85 I had the very same experience nearly everyday at the Starting Gate Cafe.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Indil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4434

posted      Profile for Indil   Author's Homepage   Email Indil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This is a great Dutch band: Krezip. This is their latest single, and sadly also their last because they've decided to quit...
From: The Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarah the Good Witch
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11219
posted      Profile for Sarah the Good Witch   Email Sarah the Good Witch   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We’re not in Kansas anymore...
Good, Kansas is over-rated IMHO []
From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Freya - I love Sufjan! I have his Illinois album. []
From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Fiest meets Bjork? The mind boggles! []
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Freya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1558

There is some great electronic music around right now, and a crop of really good "synther-songwriters" (awful term) basically folk/rock music which incorporates synths and beats and electronic sounds. I love it

Some notables:

James Yuill is a young British artist that fits this category perfectly. Don't think he has an album deal yet but definitely one to look out for. Also Brit group Elbow have this type of sound and their latest album is really excellent.

Empire of the Sun are an awesome electronic pop band from Australia, nice and chilled and perfect for a rainy Sunday morning. They are quite similar to fellow Aussies Cut Copy; definitely worth checking out if you've not heard already.

Indil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4434

posted      Profile for Indil   Author's Homepage   Email Indil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What a coincidence Freya - very recently I saw an Elbow performance on a show called Jools Holland, I believe - I hadn't heard of either the show or the band before.
They played two songs, one of which was One Day Like This. I really liked all of the layering and such (and the fact that the violin & cello players also formed the backing vocalists [] ) but I must admit that the repetitiveness of the bassline began to annoy me after a while.

People who speak Dutch should really listen to Ken Je Mij (Do You Know Me) by Trijntje Oosterhuis (she's tried going international by the name of Traincha ). The lyrics to this song written by her father are so beautiful.
The album Ken Je Mij also contains a lot of english songs - Burt Bacharach covers, "Blackbird" by the Beatles, etcetera.

E: Looking for english songs by Traincha I found this coloboration between her and Krezip (see my last post). Just thought it was funny [] . The video shows them singing a fragment of Krezip's first hit single (and it was a big hit here in the Netherlands) I Would Stay.

[ 04-21-2009, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Indil ]

From: The Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Freya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1558

Hey Indil, you should try Grounds for Divorce by Elbow, it's great
Indil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4434

I remember that title - I think it was the first song they played. While I was doing something else. []
Can't seem to find a good torrent either and my pc is too slow for YouTube (how pathetic is that [] ) so I'll listen to some more when I visit my parents tomorrow.

Another Dutch band which doesn't exist anymore: Leaf. They've only got one album, Life's A Beach, but it's so nice and summery I can't keep it from you with this lovely weather.
These were all hits in Holland, especially the first one (I actually covered this song on my demo, too). I especially like the bass lines, they're really creative.
They are graduates from the same school I want to go to []

Aina Moja
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1962

I am trying to get into Bat for Lashes, however I like Feist much better. (I've seen her twice! [] )

I downloaded Cloud Cult, Empire of the Sun (who has a free single on Itunes BTW), and Elbow. I am liking all three so far...

For my part I highly recommend Lykke Li to anyone who hasn't heard of her yet. [] The remixes of her songs are all fabulous!!!

Edit: I already had an Elbow song, I just discovered. They covered U2's Running to Stand Still, and you know I gots my U2 in the bag. []

[ 04-27-2009, 02:47 AM: Message edited by: Aina Moja ]

Roll of Honor Freya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1558

Hadn't heard of Lykke Li, but had a listen and I really like the sound. Thanks for the tip Aina Moja, I'll be sure to download, I mean buy, the CD this week []
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

I've been listening to Gossip recently and I really like the sound. Beth Ditto's voice is amazing! And she's a big girl too, so it's cool to see her being the front woman in an age of tiny twigs. [] She has quite a set of lungs on her.
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Music that the world should know about (Page 13)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help