Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  ...  13  14  15 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Music that the world should know about (Page 1)
Author Topic: Music that the world should know about
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If you consider a band both "good" and rather "unnoticed by the mainstream", feel free to post them here. That said, I also encourage you to post bands that once were famous but now forgotten. Bands that need no introduction should rather not be advertised here, there are other places for that. Let's keep this a bit alternative and interesting.

If there is a band that you have created a bond to, or that has shown you another perspective upon life in general or certain aspects, please post them as well with a short elaboration, or introductory text.

The main goal of this thread is to discover rather unknown bands, that definitely should get some credit, and bands that exceed normal boundaries and add to the magic of music.

---

I'll start off with a band that I have discovered some time ago. I will return with other bands I have in mind, but have patience. []

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

short GY!BE, is a band from Canada. However, the term "band" is rather not appropriate here, it is rather a collective of approximately 10 persons that play percussions, guitar, cello, violin, glockenspiel, and use other effects (like sucking on tapes...). This group transcends what is common today, and is a strange brew with the ingredients of a rock band, a classical orchestra and prerecorded samples of Apocalypse. It is rarely spoken on the CDs, and never ever sung. The songs, or rather compositions are 20 minutes long and create an inner image of a world falling to pieces, not without signs of a rebirth and precognition of change to come.

The artwork of their latest release, "Yanqui U.X.O." discovers how music labels collaborte with the weapon-creating industry. The songs with cryptic titles like 09-15-00 link apocalyptic to events in the past, like Ariel Sharon attacking al-haram ash-sharif.

Undoubtedly, this group combines the end of the world and rebirth, despair and hope. The intensity rises, and one might think how the final climax approaches, but the culminaton point is something GY!BE do not intend to present. Lyrics is also something GY!BE seems to avoid whenever possible - they speak through the music, and leave all the work to the listener.

[ 09-04-2004, 06:09 AM: Message edited by: Belegurth ]

From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Scared of Furniture

Absolutely nobody has ever heard of them, and they were great. They have disbanded now, and it is heavy metal's greatest loss. Two of the members were my students, and I went to all their gigs. They wrote all their own songs, and they were brilliant, absolutely superb! I have their one and only album, their demo tape, and listen to it often with great pleasure.

Your moment of immortality is here, guys. Scared of Furniture rocked my mind. You were the best!

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

posted      Profile for bombadil   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Besides myself and the bands I am involved with . . . []

Anson Funderburgh and the Rockets were best not-quite-famous blues band touring the South in my college and post-college years. I have no idea what happened to them, but here's to them!

*raises glass*

From: Meridian ID | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kupo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3738

posted      Profile for Kupo   Author's Homepage   Email Kupo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Cowboy Mouth

This might have been heard of by few but definately aren't on the mainstream. Cowboy Mouth is one of my all-time favorite bands who instigated a mix of alternitive, country, rock and every so often, ballad.

They are a great GREAT band so if you get a chance, check them out. I've got tickets to see them in October and I am just extatic about it.

Songs you might know:
"Jenny Says (turn off the radio)"
"What'cha Gonna Do?"

[] [] []

From: If only, if only... | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lune
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2422

posted      Profile for Lune   Email Lune   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tom McRae
Absolutely brilliant singer-songwriter from the UK. I've been obsessed with him for over a year now. I believe he's quite known in Britain, but not really outside of the country... He makes music i can only descibe as silent, but incredibly beautiful...

From: Boom | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Bijelo Dugme - a bosnian band.

I don't really listen to them, but a certain bosnian I know does, and he loves them.

PS: They're not quite sane..

From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tevesh Szat
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1812

posted      Profile for Tevesh Szat   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
King's X

A band started in Texas, and haven't received much attention at all, but do have a following. I highly recommend their CD, "Dogman" and a few songs from it, including "Pillow", "Shoes", and "Sunshine Rain". These are personal favourites, but meh to you too.

Dream Theater

By no means 'unheard of', but are sadly not mainstream for the fact that their is based more upon skill than making a tune sound catchy. They have been known to re-record songs from artists such as Metallica, Jimmy Hendrix, and Elton John to name a few. My personal favourite is a song called 'A Change of Seasons', which is 23 minutes and 5 seconds long. It catalogs the changes of seasons in one's life, or so I think it does.

I'm a fool, so take whatever thoughts you want.

Strapping Young Lad

Canadian based Trash Metal band, their lyrics do not make much sense but their skill belongs in the fact that it can easily make one's blood begin to pump. I haven't heard anything similar to them, but I am not exactly an expert upon music.

Oh yeah, *cough*System of a Down*cough*Bad Religion*cough*Nightwish*cough*

Had something stuck in my throat. Sorry folks.

From: Infantry's Village Idiot | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Deraj the Plaid
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1351

posted      Profile for Deraj the Plaid   Email Deraj the Plaid   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Riders in the Sky
 -

My family listened to these guys a LONG time ago - probably twelve years. At first they just released regular recordings, but in the early '90's they actually had their own children's show on Saturday mornings. Recently they have won two Grammy Awards associated with Pixar films (Toy Story 2 and Monsters, Inc.), but it seems that most people have still never heard of them! They're great yodelers! []

From: Del-Mar-Va | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
bomby - Anson Funderburgh is still around, I saw him in New Orleans last year. []

E: and Cowboy Mouth the year before (I go to the Jazz & Heritage festival every year)

[ 10-24-2003, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tevesh> I haven't heard of anybody mentioning those bands in a long time! I saw Kings X in concert in...um...1991, I believe. Good stuff. And I used to listen to Dream Theater's Images and Words CD all the time. Then it disappeared when one of my roommates moved (back when I was single). []
From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

posted      Profile for Adulithien   Email Adulithien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*is hopelessly lost in list mode*

Top 5 + others

• Elliott Smith-- Brilliant songwriter. Winning music composition contests since he was 10. Nobody knew who he was when his song on the Good Will Hunting soundtrack was nominated for an Oscar, and everybody forgot about it until he did another one for The Royal Tenenbaums.
  • Jeff Buckley-- Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk is the most amazing double album ever produced. But can anybody answer whether he or Leonard Cohen got a hold of "Hallelujia" first?
  • Nick Drake-- Nobody under the age of 25 would probably know about this guy at all if not for that confounded VW Bug commercial.
  • Unwound-- They've known what's up for 17 years (and 14 albums), and they still do.
  • Frodus-- just because they break up is no excuse to shelf all their music!...
  • At the Drive-In
  • Antioch Arrow
  • Jawbreaker
  • Twothirtyeight
  • Karate
  • Sinker
  • Ida
  • Braid
  • The White Octave

[ 10-24-2003, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Adulithien ]

From: Austin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Funktion - a swedish funk unit of 18 year olds playing funky music; some rap, some r & b/soul and a LOT of funk. And they are very talented.

www.funktion.cjb.net

From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elvengirl
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1757

posted      Profile for Elvengirl   Author's Homepage   Email Elvengirl   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
His Infernal Majesty is a really good band. They're from Finland I think.
From: Tennessee | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
About two months ago I would have been in here raving about Switchfoot. They've been around for about 7 years and about a month or two ago they got their first real recognition. They're still probably under-appreciated, but they are now played on mainstream radio a good bit and are getting a lot more notice.

But still, there's plenty of deprived people who haven't heard the amazingness of Switchfoot. If you've never heard their music, go out and buy their CDs, download them, I don't care what! Just hear it! []

From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

posted      Profile for bombadil   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Anson at the New Orleans J&H Fest?!? WT, check your PMs.
From: Meridian ID | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imbëar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 729
posted      Profile for Imbëar   Author's Homepage   Email Imbëar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone here for Guided By Voices?

Imbëar

From: Auburn, CA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyone here for Guided By Voices?

Tell us about it! I haven't heard of them, and downloading is immoral [] [] .
From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jango
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 891

posted      Profile for Jango   Email Jango   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey GtW, I've been a listener of Switchfoot
From: US Virgin Islands | Registered: Sep 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Faramir Took
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3268

posted      Profile for Faramir Took   Email Faramir Took   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Quick, GtW, tell me a Switchfoot song to download!
From: Joisey | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Meant to Live, Learning to Breathe, I Dare you to Move, New Way to be Human, Gone, More Than Fine, Let That Be Enough, You, Chem 6A...

[ 10-25-2003, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Gandalf the White ]

From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faramir Took
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3268

posted      Profile for Faramir Took   Email Faramir Took   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!

TO KAZZA LITE!!!!!!!

From: Joisey | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Belegurth,

I have actually seen God Speed! in concert, an evening I will never forget to be sure. If you can get ahold on some of their vinyl works, you will be pleased. Such musicians are rare. Have you read any of Tolkien's works while listening to God Speed? The two, in my opinion, blend beautifully.

Herendil,

How would you describe HIM 's sound? The name sounds familiar.

I bring to you all, Sparklehorse.

Their latest album is entitled It's a Wonderful Life. Unfortunately the title song off the album will be featured in yet another zombie movie due out sometime soon. *sigh* I won't describe the group (technically one man mostly) but will simply say this, listen.

As far as "once famous now forgotten," an entire genre has been lost on modern day culture, that being jazz. Modern music is boring, the last pioneer of rock being Led Zepplin. If typical jazz measures (like 6/8 as opposed to say the usual rock/blues 12 bars) were incorporated into today's instrumentation and sound, the face of music as we know it would change, and that's just beat measures. Dave Matthews Band in their earlier years played around with these things, a prime example being "Drive In Drive Out". Perhaps people are too engulfed in Good Charlotte to enjoy Good Music.

[ 10-26-2003, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]

From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystic Vala
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2794

posted      Profile for Mystic Vala   Author's Homepage   Email Mystic Vala   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
jeez, I don't know what all to mention in here. I'll just put out the bands ive been listening to and noone in this area talks about.

-Shai Hulud (broke up but still good stuff)
-The Suicide File (also broke up) []
-The Hope Conspiracy (similar to Suicide File... and still together too!)
-Anti-Flag (political punk)
-ZAO
-As I lay Dying
-walls of jericho
-Avenged sevenfold
-the faint
-nightfall
-alexisonfire
-unearth
-thrice
-river city rebels (punk)
-atreyu

[ 10-26-2003, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: Mystic Vala ]

From: Pennsylvania... where horror flys by night, and blasphemy. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jóhnny, the Jester
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 579

posted      Profile for Jóhnny, the Jester   Email Jóhnny, the Jester   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
raiders in teh sky, where on a barney vidieo...scary, eh?

but
BIG BAD VOODOO DADDY
best old timeish jazz youve heard....cant say much else i think they play the super bowl three or four years ago....not sure....

From: Q-Tip | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toltari
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3912

posted      Profile for Toltari   Email Toltari   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with JJ Big Bad Voo Doo Daddy is the best jazz group they actually came from Oxnard or Ventura or something like that near LA...
I steal my cousin's cd all the time... I have yet to give it back...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Quote said by Spike to Buffy about Xander: I am insaine what is his excuse???
Angel to Buffy bout Riley- You slept with this guy?
Dory- I will name him squishy and he will be my squishy!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Love ya all! ~*~ Tolly ~*~

From: Mind-lost Body-sitting here... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Prancing Pony » Music that the world should know about (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  ...  13  14  15 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help