Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » Did Shadowfax leave Middle Earth with Gandalf?
Author Topic: Did Shadowfax leave Middle Earth with Gandalf?
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
He's one that I never noticed myself in my readings.

Did Shadowfax leave Middle Earth with Gandalf?

When I heard this question, I can't believe I never noticed it before - Shadowfax is not specifically mentioned in 'The Grey Havens', only a great grey horse.

I guess we all assume it is Shadowfax, but it is never mentioned if the horse boards the ship. Perhaps Cirdan takes care of him. Perhaps he just goes out to stud.

Any opinions / evidence out there?

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miturian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 139
posted      Profile for Miturian   Email Miturian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't Gandalf say somewhere(I think it is where the last army of the eorlingas pass out) that he and Shadowfax is not to be parted anymore AT THIS SIDE OF THE SEA? If so, it would mean that they where to be parted when Gandalf had to depart.
From: Århus, Denmark | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nimruzir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 248

posted      Profile for Nimruzir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The good Professor's own thoughts on this are revealed in Letter # 268 of Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien.
From: Den of Iniquity | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miturian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 139
posted      Profile for Miturian   Email Miturian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Now I have made a litle resarch, and Gandalf did say something like it. He said:

quote:

Far let us ride now together, and part not in this world again!

He didn't say it when the last host of the mark sat out, but when he revealed himself to Legolas, Aragorn an Gimli.

What I am trying to say is that it isn't possible that they would ever be parted if they both came over the sea.
So if they ever was to be parted, as Gandalf hinted that they sooner or later would, but not in this world, it would probably be there.
I'm looking forward to see the other solutions on this matter.

From: Århus, Denmark | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 292
posted      Profile for Mithrandir   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nimruzir, would you care to enlighten us what is in that letter?
From: Valinor | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nimruzir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 248

posted      Profile for Nimruzir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nimruzir, would you care to enlighten us what is in that letter?

Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
From a letter to Miss A. P. Northey
19 January 1965

I think Shadowfax certainly went with Gandalf [across the Sea], though this is not stated. I feel it is better not to state everything (and indeed it is more realistic, since in chronicles and accounts of 'real' history, many facts that some enquirer would like to know are omitted, and the truth has to be discovered or guessed from such evidence as there is). I should argue so: Shadowfax came of a special race (II 126,129, III 346)1 being as it were an Elvish equivalent of ordinary horses : his 'blood' came from 'West over Sea'. It would not be unfitting for him to 'go West'. Gandalf was not 'dying', or going by a special grace to the Western Land, before passing on 'beyond the circles of the world': he was going home, being plainly one of the 'immortals', an angelic emissary of the angelic governors (Valar) of the Earth. He would take or could take what he loved. Gandalf was last seen riding Shadowfax (III 276). He must have ridden to the Havens, and it is inconceivable that he would [have] ridden any beast but Shadowfax; so Shadowfax must have been there. A chronicler winding up a long tale, and for the moment moved principally by the sorrow of those left behind (himself among them!) might omit mention of the horse; but had the great horse also shared in the grief of sundering, he could hardly have been forgotten.

From: Den of Iniquity | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 292
posted      Profile for Mithrandir   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
thank you, now the matter is clear to all =)
From: Valinor | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da-Bomb badill
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 251
posted      Profile for Da-Bomb badill   Email Da-Bomb badill   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It is also known that Shadowfax was the last of the line of Mearas, another indicator that Shadowfax left M.E.
From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 292
very good point, for if he had died, we surely would have known.
cian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 371
posted      Profile for cian   Edit/Delete Post 
Shadowfax taking ship is also mentioned in a version of the LotR "epilogue" published in HoMe. Cheers~
Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 292
Conclusion:
Shadowfax did indeed travel with Gandalf to Valinor, for Shadowfax was the last of the line of Mearas and was said to never have parted with Gandalf again in Middle Earth

Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Are you refering to this passage frome the End of the third age(HMC pg 123) cian?

quote:

Shadowfax went in the white ship with gGandalf of course. I saw it myself.

From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 371
posted      Profile for cian   Edit/Delete Post 
Right Fingolfin, from "The Epilogue" (2nd version) in Sauron Defeated. Cheers~
Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Library Council of Minas Tirith » Did Shadowfax leave Middle Earth with Gandalf?
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help